A Flood of Support

Two family businesses lost in the flooding after dams broke in Columbia, SC.

By: Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

From Oct. 1 to Oct. 5, 11 trillion gallons of water were dumped on the citizens of South and North Carolina –enough water to provide every person in the state with their own personal, filled Olympic-sized swimming pools – twice. The downpour surpassed a 107-year-old record and exceeded that of any tropical cyclone in state history. According to one collection, 18.71 inches fell on Columbia in less than 24 hours.

The detrimental effects of the rain also poured over South Carolina. The death toll topped at just under 20, and the displacement toll steadily rose towards 1,000. Boil water advisories left over 400,000 citizens without access to running water. The University of South Carolina cancelled class for the week, and its football game against Louisiana State University was moved to Baton Rouge. Senator Lindsey Graham warned that the flood could cost the state over $1 billion. Fourteen dams failed, sending torrents of water into some of the state’s most populated suburbs.

“In Orangeburg, we take much pride in the Edisto River; it’s the tie that brings our community together as one. Along the river we have trails and rose gardens, and have our annual Rose Festival every year. When the river overflowed just a few days ago, it became terribly frightening how nature can be so beautiful yet destructing and dangerous all at the same time,” said Virginia McCully, ’17.

“This is something that no one ever would have thought would happen,” said Emma Cummings, ‘16. “In the blink of an eye, so many people lost everything.”

However, as waters rose, so did something else: state pride and a sense of communal solidarity. Wofford students and alum, those affected by the flooding and those spared, united in community efforts to aid those families who lost their homes, like that of Kent Liggit ’19.

“It’s just hard to believe it happened, and I haven’t really processed it,” said Liggit,while helping his neighbors tear down the waterlogged walls of their home. “I’m sure it will hit me soon that I’m homeless, but it’ll all work out. It’s cool to see how all of these people are coming together to help people out.”

Elie B. Brantley, ’18, also noticed how strong the support from the South Carolina community has been.

“The flood destroyed most of my neighborhood, but nobody’s morale. The community has really pulled together around those affected, and people from all over the state have come to show their support for our town. We really are blessed to have a state with such a foundation of support and kindness,” said Brantley.

Cummings echoed Brantley’s sentiment of fortitude.

“The community’s response shows its strength. Strangers are helping strangers. It might take time, but everything can – and will – be rebuilt.”

In addition to individual efforts to provide aid to flood victims, Wofford College took steps of its own to mitigate the challenges facing those affected. The Wofford Alumni Office organized a “bottled water blitz” on Oct. 6, asking the campus community to donate water to be distributed in Columbia. Additionally, Twin Towers collected bottled water, non-perishable food items and cash to be donated to the affected areas.

And in the midst of their flooded neighborhoods, Wofford students keep their spirits up, finding moments of humor amidst the crisis.

“My grandmother told me she saw an alligator swimming in the street,” said Jonathan Franklin, ’16.

$0
$500