Campus Safety

Campus Safety encourages students who feel unsafe walking from one destination to another to call for an escort.

By: Essence Buckman, Staff writer

Late at night on Sept. 18, 2015 a message was relayed through the Rave system, via text and e-mail to students on Wofford College’s campus. A robbing at knife point occurred on Evin’s Street, near the area where the new Greek Village is under construction. It was reported that a local high school student was the victim of the assault on campus.

Within the following few weeks, items were stolen from cars owned by students on campus. In response to the thefts, students were encouraged to lock their doors. These events have sparked anger and concern in Wofford students, and they have begun to question Campus Safety officers on their safety and security.

A common belief for why these events have happened is because this campus is an “open” one, where anyone can come and go as they please. The reoccurring question from students is: “What is Campus Safety doing to protect our students?”

Dwayne Harris , Campus Safety officer and lieutenant, addressed these concerns.

What steps have been taken to increase campus security for students, faculty, staff and visitors, and what has campus safety done in terms of patrolling throughout the day and at night?

“[Campus Safety] have changed work schedules to better provide coverage during certain times of the day and night. Increase patrols with an emphasis on outside visitors and increased patrols in the parking lots. With our new dispatch center, our dispatchers monitor all the cameras on campus and alert officers on patrol of any suspicious or criminal activity that they see. We have hired a student worker to assist with escorts on Friday and Saturday nights to free up officers to continue patrols.”

Has the Office of Campus Safety considered adding more officers for patrolling?

“That option has been considered.”

What do you see the vision of the campus safety and security in the future?

“I see a department that is changing with the needs of the college. Campus security is everyone’s responsibility. I am working hard on fostering an atmosphere of cooperation and putting community oriented policing to work for the good of our campus.”

In addition to Wofford being an open campus, the issues of guests have arisen.

“Wofford has an open campus, however, our students are responsible for their guests,”Harris says.

This statement is a reply to issues dealing with visitors attending parties in the Village, and it is stressed that the people throwing these parties are liable for the people they attract, where Campus Safety will be of assistance if necessary.

Overall, despite the recent concerns of the wellness of this campus, Campus Safety officers are present to protect. Campus Safety can be contacted at 864-597-4911 at all hours of the day and night.

$0
$500