WoffordSpoon: The Select Restaurant

By: Jonathan Franklin and Zack Morrow, Senior Writer, Contributing Writer

If you’re trying to choose your next off-campus dining experience that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner, then ‘select’ the new Select Restaurant in Spartanburg. For our third stop in our food review series, we ventured to this hiden gem in town to see what all this establishment has to offer (and how much money we can save, as well). In addition, we had the pleasure – or more like volun-told – of having seniors Colton Smith and Donovan Hicks join us for this eating experience.

Located on 880 S. Pine Street, Select used to be the home of prominent local Spartanburg eatery ‘Stax Billy D’s’ for over 15 years. After its closing in July 2014, the restaurant space was vacant but was soon bought and remodeled to open in May of this year to the local community.

“Before going to Select, like any person, I decided to look them up on Yelp and UrbanSpoon. I found nothing but good reviews and either 4 or 5 stars for their reviews. I knew we had to try it out,” says senior Jonathan Franklin. “Plus they sell breakfast all day, every day for a reasonable price; you can’t beat that.”

The group of four had a seat on the raised portion of the split-level restaurant. After much deliberation (by Hicks, at least), the group decided on their order. Hicks, Franklin and Morrow pounced on the Select Breakfast, while Smith went with the “Almost Philly Cheesesteak” skillet.

“I got the ‘Select Breakfast’ with two giant pancakes, two eggs over-medium, and two strips of Applewood-smoked bacon,” says senior Zack Morrow. “In the immortal words of Ron Swanson, ‘Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.’”

“I couldn’t decide what to get. I love breakfast and all of the food associated with it, so the Select Breakfast was the way to go,” says Franklin.

In addition, the restaurant serves classic entrées like skillets, burgers, fish and steaks.

Hicks summarized the feelings of the group in his evaluation.

“Select was surprisingly a mix of both a classy diner and an upscale American restaurant, and it’s done well,” he says. “It’s a wonderful place for a breakfast or a home-cooked meal.”

Given the high-quality all-day breakfast, the reasonable price for it and the atmosphere of the restaurant itself, Franklin and Morrow agree that Select Restaurant deserves 5 out of 5 stars on the WoffordSpoon meter. If you’re looking to dine, go to 880 South Pine!

The WoffordSpoon team devoured the Select Breakfast from The Select Restaurant on 880 S. Pine Street.

$0
$500