All Time Terriers

“There’s not a lot of discrepancy between the three inductees,” says Athletic Director Richard Johnson. “All of these players warrant induction.”  Pictured from left to right: Brandon Waring, “Heavy” Anthony Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Wade Keesler, Nick Schuermann and Todd Shanesy. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki.
“There’s not a lot of discrepancy between the three inductees,” says Athletic Director Richard Johnson. “All of these players warrant induction.” Pictured from left to right: Brandon Waring, “Heavy” Anthony Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Wade Keesler, Nick Schuermann and Todd Shanesy. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki.
By: Kyle Hofmann, Contributing Writer

As you leave your mark on your workout legacy in the Richardson building this week, take some time to recognize three athletes who have left their legacy on Wofford athletics. Former Wofford stars, Anthony “Heavy” Jones, ’03, Nick Schuermann, ’10, and Brandon Waring, ’15, were inducted into the Wofford College Athletic Hall of Fame late September. Their production on the field played a role in the sustained success of their respective sports.

Schuermann led the revival of the men’s soccer team during their 2009 campaign. He was one of only three athletes in the country named Scholar Athlete All-American and All-American that year. Although he was a defender, Schuermann scored five goals during that season, in which they won the Southern Conference championship.

“When I got here in 2006, we were bad,” recalled Scheurmann. “I think it is important to point out we graduated with ten guys in my class. We bonded in those four years, making each other better people and players.”

After the team’s success in 2009, Schuermann recognizes that team set a new standard for all other teams following them.

“Wofford soccer is a special family now,” said Schuermann. “Every year now we’re competing for the top”

Waring’s career was also capped off by an All-American year in 2007, one of only three in Wofford baseball history. During that season the third baseman recorded a .400 batting average and got on base on over 50 percent of his at-bats. His conference tournament run was the cherry on top when he hit five home runs in as many days.

Like Schuermann, Waring gives most of the credit to the coaching staff.

“I’m really impressed with what Coach Interdonato has done with this program,” says Waring. “With the kinds of student athletes he’s bringing here, I think the best is yet to come.”

Waring left Wofford in 2007 after being drafted by the Reds in the seventh round. He spent eight years in their farm system be fore coming back to Wofford to finish his degree this year.

The Hall of Fame also inducted defensive tackle “Heavy” Anthony Jones. He is Wofford’s all-time leader in tackles for loss, 66, and sacks, 30. He and coach Mike Ayers share a special bond that involved a lot of speculation early on.

“I wasn’t sure how this guy could help us when he came in,” says Ayers. “It wasn’t about his outside look. He played the game with a tremendous amount of heart and toughness and that made him a winner.”

“He was the first person to recruit me,” adds Jones speaking about Ayers. “I made one recruiting trip to Spartanburg, and I fell in love.”

Now he and his college roommate, Nathan Fuqua, the current defensive coordinator, both live together again in Wofford history.

$0
$500