Professional in purple

This TED talk by Amy Cuddy encourages PSS woman to “fake it until they become it” in regards to body language and self-confidence. Photo by Alex Arsi.
By: Katie Sanders, Staff Writer

On Monday, Oct. 5, 70 female students of varying ages and majors gathered for Purple Scarf Society’s opening night. As the girls filed in, the leadership team, Lauren Cabe, Alex Arsi, MaryHurston Zuelke and Virginia McCully, were busy handing out purple pens, purple gumballs and setting up for the TED talk that would be shown. Kathryn Buchanan, creator of the four-week professional development program for women, was “thrilled” at the outcome of the first meeting.

“It was extremely encouraging to know how many young women are excited for their professional development and want to be a part of a community that will lift them up and encourage them throughout their college career as they prepare for their futures beyond. Seeing the number of incredible young women in the audience, I can tell it is going to be a great semester.”

This year, the focus will be on setting personal goals, learning to speak confidently about your interests, accomplishments and skills and making the most of every connection. While these skills seem basic to some, Buchanan says they make the most lasting impression in settings like interviews and networking events.

Women will meet in small groups four times throughout the months of Oct. and Nov. Marianna Conrad will lead one on Sundays at 9 p.m., Olivia Crotts will lead one on Tuesdays at 11 a.m., Maya Ward will lead one on Wednesdays at 4 p.m., Julie Robinson will lead one on Thursdays at 8 p.m. and Erin Jacobs will lead one on Fridays at 3 p.m. These groups are still accepting members.

PSS women will also participate in a networking event on Nov. 12 and a professional dress workshop with Ann Taylor on Nov. 5.

“Our events have brought a whole new dimension to learning and commitment, and have very positively impacted students who are a part of the organization,” says Buchanan. “Whether it be the Ann Taylor event or the Networking Event, young women are not only being equipped with a supportive community, but also the tools and practice to get ahead in their professional development.”

As for the future of PSS, Buchanan is very hopeful.

“My goal for the Purple Scarf Society was and is to make it a sustainable organization that has a significant impact on the women at Wofford. In its two years, it has really been able to achieve that… This year I have an incredible Leadership Team who has done simply stellar work, and I can already see their dedication and ability improving the impact of the organization. As I prepare to graduate I am thrilled to know what incredible leaders and members exist within the organization that will move it forward in the years to come.”

Buchanan encourages all Wofford women to join PSS.

“Being unsure is the perfect reason to join. We are all unsure. The theme of the Purple Scarf Society this year is ‘turn your anxiety into productivity.’ Whether you are a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior, whether you have a resume or don’t even know what that is, we have a programming designed to fit your needs.”

For updates on Purple Scarf Society, like their Facebook page and follow their Instagram account.

$0
$500