Investigation into homecoming controversy

Students enjoy a movie night in Phase III, courtesy of Wofford Activities Council, to kick off homecoming weekend. Events like these are what kept campus relatively calm, according to RA Jonathan Franklin.

By: Katie Sanders, Staff Writer

With no fraternity row and limited tailgating space, homecoming weekend looked different this year. The Village apartments naturally became the party scene, and rumors have been circulating regarding arrests, drugs, violence and trash. The Old Gold & Black investigated the validity of these claims.

Campus Safety denies the rumor that Spartanburg Police arrested an alumna on campus during homecoming weekend. There is no record of an arrest in either Spartanburg County’s online arrest records or Campus Safety’s records. Although Campus Safety’s records are not up to date online, lists of their most current filed cases are posted on a bulletin board in their office for public knowledge.

Dwayne Harris, Campus Safety supervisor, explains, “Usually the city police will not come on campus and arrest anybody… If they have a warrant on somebody they will call us. It’s like a professional courtesy.”

There were only four cases filed by Campus Safety on homecoming weekend. Simple assault, liquor and fire extinguisher violations were filed in the Village apartments, and a harassment violation was filed in Carlisle. No drug cases were filed on campus that weekend, although Harris says many have been filed this semester.

A common complaint heard from students this semester is that more alcohol violations have been given out.

“Kids are complaining that we are writing more alcohol violations. We don’t go in the dorms unless we’re called and there’s a reason to go,” Harris says. “I can sit here and say ‘don’t drink,’ but college kids are going to drink. All we ask is that they are more responsible about it. If you’re going to drink, don’t have a party in a dry dorm. That’s stupid. We should call them stupid violations instead of alcohol violations.”

Jonathan Franklin, the RA on duty for the Village during homecoming weekend, says the worst call he received was about the elevator in Phase V being broken.

He says, “I feel like homecoming weekend was pretty calm, due to the band party in Phase III on Friday and the street party held downtown on Saturday.”

Three other RAs would not disclose details. However, the residents of Phase IV received an email from their RA on Sunday afternoon threatening fines.

The email said, “Whoever is responsible for the mess of potato chips, empty beer cans, bottles and the lonely orange juice container outside by the tree and picnic table- PLEASE CLEAN IT UP BY THE END OF THE DAY… You will not have a happy RA if it is still there by tomorrow and I do not want to have to fine you for it.”

Regarding alumni misconduct, senior Joe James confirms.

“My roommate had one alumna visit and stay the night, and on Saturday night she randomly brought 10 more alumni. They partied in our apartment, even though the residents wanted to go to bed. Early in the morning, this girl got up and peed in my trashcan, even though the restroom was 10 feet away.  Instead of cleaning it up or telling us, she left. I didn’t even bother cleaning the trashcan; I just threw it out. I hope Wofford doesn’t fine me, because it was one of the trashcans they provide.”

James was hoping for one last time to get together with past and current friends, but he was disappointed.

“This homecoming wasn’t too great in comparison to past homecomings. Being a senior, I don’t remember any other homecomings being this debaucherous,” he says. “It’s unfortunate that alumni decided to recreate a typical weekend from their freshmen year, as opposed to catching up with distant friends.“

$0
$500