Athlete Speak:

Sarah Spiro ’18, middle, and other members of the women’s cross country team goof off for the camera on their way back from a workout. Photo by Mark Olencki.

By: Sarah Madden, Senior Writer

The NCAA recently released the latest Graduation Success Rate for all Division I institutions. Wofford had nine of 14 teams post a score of 100, the highest score available. All teams had a rate above 89, which is well above the national average of 83.

Balancing schoolwork and athletic commitments is an important skill that many student-athletes say is crucial to both academic and athletic success. Below, members of various teams weigh in with their answers to the same question:

“What does it take to be a Wofford student-athlete?”

Tyreik Lyles ’18, Football: “It takes dedication, commitment and a sense of maturity to be a student-athlete… Here at Wofford, athletes are seen as students first more than anything. Every athlete is required to meet the standards of any other student that attends Wofford College. It takes some major time-management skills and scheduling to be a student-athlete. If you aren’t organized, it can become very difficult to achieve the highest amount of success.”

Katy Funk ’17, Golf: “If you have a full time job you pour your heart into and go to class, you know what it’s like to be a student-athlete.”

Lauren Miller ’18, Volleyball: “It takes commitment and discipline as you are striving to excel both in the classroom and on the field/court. It takes sacrifice, too, because sometimes you’ll get back from a road trip at 1 a.m. and still have homework to do or you can’t go hang out with your friends because you have an exam the next day and practice won’t get out until dinner time. Being a student athlete at Wofford requires hard work and serious time management skills.”

Cassidy Hicks ’19, Tennis: “Being a student-athlete at Wofford requires being dedicated to both your academic and athletic pursuits and having the discipline to make them both successful.”

Sarah Spiro ’18, Track and Field, Cross Country: “Being a student-athlete at Wofford takes getting used to late nights in Milliken after everyone else has gone to sleep and early mornings on the fields before everyone else is awake. Oh, and food. It takes a lot of food!”

Zoe Kloth ’16, Rifle: “I think it takes a lot of passion to be a student athlete at Wofford. Wofford classes are no joke, so you really have to love what you do to make it worth the extra time and effort that so many sports demand – all the while staying on top of your academic obligations. Between practice, the weight room, games and travel, athletes can spend up to 20 hours a week just on their sport. Sure you have to be successful at finding balance in your life, prioritizing tasks and maintaining personal accountability – but at the end of the day, if you aren’t passionate about what you’re doing you will lose your ability to find that balance between being an athlete and being a student. And the extra work will just feel like work – not fun.”

Alan Poric ’19, Tennis: “It is a great honor to be a student athlete. It helps me manage my time and remain involved. Our team is like a family and I’m thankful for the experience.”

Spencer Collins ’16, Basketball: “Being a Wofford student-athlete is definitely not easy. It takes commitment, from waking up at 5 a.m. before weights or conditioning, transitioning to class, and between those times you may have a lift scheduled. After class is over you’re going straight to practice for two or two and a half hours… Your body is worn out. [On top of all this], now you have to study for an exam or do work for classes when you are both mentally and physically tired. It’s a full-time job. However, I’m thankful for the opportunity to go here on a full scholarship to play a sport that I love. What I’ve learned here is that Wofford prepares you for the real world. You’re going to have highs and lows, and this place will challenge you in all aspects of life. Whenever you face tough times with a great attitude, whether a student athlete or a student not involved in sports, life will treat you right for staying positive.”

Anya Bunao ’18, Track and Field, Cross Country: “[It takes] extreme time management. As a member of the cross country and track team, to manage two practices a day and weights twice a week, you have to manage your time. My agenda is my best friend, honestly! Secondly, you have to stay healthy. Sometimes you can get caught up late in the library when you lose track of time but it is important to remember the value of sleep, hydration and eating right. I always carry a full bottle of water and have no problem going off campus to buy food necessary for a healthy diet.”

Ray Smith ’16, Football: “You have to be able to persevere, be disciplined and realize that it takes everything you got in the tank to be able to stay on top in your classes and in your sport. But to answer the question, it takes all you got! Literally…”

Lauren Miller ’18, right, congratulates a teammate on the court in a match against Furman. Photo by Mark Olencki.

$0
$500