The Reinforcements

This Wofford team seeks the school’s first three-peat in its history. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki.

By :Kyle Hofmann, Contributing Writer

Consistency of personnel is a large reason for the sustained success of this generation of Terrier basketballers. The leadership of Karl Cochran, Lee Skinner and John Swinton held the men’s basketball team together during back-to-back Southern Conference championship seasons.

With those players graduated, other players must make up their production. The obvious candidates for leadership roles are seniors Spencer Collins and Justin Gordon and junior point guard Eric Garcia.

There are four other key additions to the team that could be the replacements Wofford needs: freshmen guards Fletcher Magee, Jimmy Jent, Trevor Stumpe and center Matthew Pegram.

Magee is a sharp shooter from Orlando, FL. In his senior year of high school, Magee averaged 20 points per game while shooting 44 percent from beyond the three-point arc. The Terriers are searching for a new go-to shooter with Karl Cochran now gone.

Not only is Magee known for his shooting prowess, he – much like Cochran – is a superior athlete. He has enough spring in his step to finish alley-oops at the rim.

Magee recognizes that Wofford will not only miss the leadership and offense of the three graduates, but also the defense.

“I think I can help us win by making some shots,” says the 6-foot-4 guard. “But my main focus is going to be on the defensive end. I’ve heard how great [Cochran, Skinner and Swinton] were defensively, some of the best we have had around at Wofford in some time.”

Jimmy Jent is a shifty point guard with size. His quickness and ball handling skills will play a key role in the overall effectiveness of the offense and freeing up shooters like Collins and Jaylen Allen. At 6-foot-4, Jent will be able to see over his defender, giving him better court vision.

As the Terriers lose one former Fork Union player in Skinner, they gain another in Jent. In his senior year, Jent averaged 13 points a game and scored a career high of 30 points in a contest.

With seasoned veterans Garcia and Derrick Brooks returning, Jent may have to wait his turn to truly show what he can do for this team.

Another future shooting option for Wofford is Trevor Stumpe from the Plainfield, IL near Chicago. He says that playing in the Chicago area has factored greatly into the player he is today.

“There is a toughness players from Chicago tend to have,” says the All-Chicago Area player. “I learned growing up that it comes from playing with some soul in your game and doing whatever it takes to win.

Stumpe’s game has a pure catch and shoot element to it. He averaged 24 points, seven rebounds and five assists as a junior, compiling 4A All-State, All-Conference and All-Area accolades along the way. Although he can score in a hurry, his focus at Wofford is to be the best team player he can be.

To fill the void in the frontcourt, Wofford added its tallest player since 2006. At 6-foot-11, Pegram brings the size and physicality Wofford needs to keep quickly rising Chattanooga and Furman teams at bay.

Pegram joins leaders C.J. Neumann, Cam Jackson and high-flyer Gordon in a frontcourt that may increase spacing down low for Pegram and Jackson to work. Outside shooting from Zack Korkowski and Ryan Sawvell could space the floor, giving the block players more opportunities for points.

Despite the heavy turnover from last year’s championship team, Mike Young and the rest of the coaching staff have put the men’s team in great position to make another run at the Southern Conference title.

The Terriers’ season opener took place at Missouri on Nov. 13 on SEC Network. Catch the home opener on Nov. 21.

$0
$500