Statement from Wofford College Campus Union

AN ADDRESS ON RECENT DIALOGUES ON CAMPUS —

By Donovan Hicks and Patrick Longest, Contributing Writers

WOFFORD STUDENTS:

We, as members of Campus Union, would like to take a moment to address the recent student dialogues on campus via social media and op­-eds in the Old Gold and Black.

In recent weeks, much has been written on the topic of race, as it pertains to our beloved college. We, as a student government, have seen a wide array of opinions and beliefs on the issue and are concerned divisiveness is brewing in the atmosphere. We believe this is the result of harmful language and aggressive tones in the writings on this issue so far. At this time, we would like to urge the campus to remember the importance of constructive and respectful dialogue in the coming weeks.

Wofford is a small community of educated persons who are full of diverse interests and thoughts. Race – too often – brings out the apparent differences that we all have. Each of us has a specific set of experiences and relationships that shapes who we are. In those moments, let us remember that while we may not agree with each other on such a topic, that feelings should never be invalidated in discussions meant to help our community. We all feel the way we do for many diverse reasons, and tend to be influenced by our own environment. However, differences should not foster accusations and blatant dismissals. We do not want to become a campus completely divided by hurt, but rather a campus united by our care of and for one another. This community of ours is first and foremost a family.

We, as student representatives, will be leading the charge for creating the space for students to voice their concerns in civil discourse. This will be for students, free of any administration, staff or faculty. And, this will become a forum where constructive comments and circumspect, measured expression of opinions will be encouraged.  This will be a setting where healing can be fostered, and we can endeavor to understand each other and our beliefs. It is our hope that this will be an experience that will grow our community instead of dividing it. If we can strive to show care for each other and to learn disagreement does not mean disharmony, we will be better for it.

At end of the day, we are all blessed to attend Wofford College, and if one of our members is hurting, we all hurt. We have been through a lot this year as a community. We have enjoyed triumphs and endured the gravest of losses. We have come together over and over again through our long history. At this time we must seek to come together once again.

We will be following up with more details on the dialogue that we will be hosting in the coming weeks.

Be kind to one another and have a wonderful break. Sincerely,

Donovan Hicks and Patrick Longest, Campus Union Delegates

$0
$500