Greek row update

A live stream of Greek Village construction can be found on Wofford’s website, under “Construction Updates.”

By: Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

Students returning to campus for the spring semester are ready for the row to be built.  Over interim, construction crews made noticeable progress despite the winter weather. Despite the progress, the anticipated completion date has yet to be set in stone.

“The anticipated completion date is around April 1,” says Matthew Hammett, dean of student affairs. “The project has been delayed some because of the excessive rain we received during the fall semester.”

Although the completion date was initially announced to be in March, students remain hopeful that the row will be completed in time for their favorite spring traditions, like Spring Weekend and Spring Concert.

“I think that having a row brings people together, especially during campus-wide events. It’s great to have a place to go where you know you’ll meet new people – without the row, I haven’t gotten to meet very many underclassmen,” says Andrea Liberatore, ’16.

“Some of my favorite memories during my time at Wofford have been made at the row, and I can’t wait for it to be completed.”

Fortunately for students like Liberatore, efforts from the development office to fundraise for the row have paid off. The money is there; eventually, the row will be as well.

“Wofford was able to meet the fundraising goals for this project,” says Calhoun Kennedy, executive director and associate vice president for development.

“The most effective means of fundraising was the peer-to-peer solicitations for bricks. Also, there were several challenges by donors to a few groups that helped build momentum and meet fundraising goals,” says Kennedy.

According to Hammett, the design and layout of the new row will certainly alter the way that students experience all traditions on campus, including the overarching tradition of Greek Life. Hammett hopes that the row will create a new perception of sororities and fraternities.

“The Greek Village, once finished, will catch the eye of many visitors and guests. I hope that as people become more curious about the houses, they’ll get to know the service and leadership opportunities that come along with joining a Greek-lettered organization,” says Hammett.

“The houses will give students a new space to study, to take on leadership roles, to build relationships, and network with their peers.”

Hammett also hopes that building Panhellenic houses will change the culture of Greek life at Wofford in a “very positive way.”

While the majority of students await the row’s completion for reasons that differ from the administration’s, students and faculty both clearly hope that the construction will be completed as soon as possible.

$0
$500