“The Heat is On”

No Bid Day would be complete without a selfie. Photo Credit to Mark Olencki.

By: Ellis Distefano, Contributing Writer

Recruitment 2016 has officially begun. This recruitment campaign as with every campaign brings about new challenges, setbacks and hardships. The turbulence among the various chapter meetings consists of dialogue such as “who do we want” and “who are we going to get.” For those outside of the Greek Life realm, recruitment is the official term for joining a Greek Life organization.

Wofford College offers 10 organizations to join, each with its own attraction to the campus and students. However, Spring Rush this particular year has two major eye-opening factors, the first being the construction of the new Greek Village, which is slowly taking shape.

“The houses brought a unique social life to Wofford, which is something that with the new nicer houses I hope can return,” says Matthew Yochum, a senior and member of Greek Life.

Yochum is a veteran of recruitment and went on to say, “My time is done and it is time for our new members to do a majority of the handy work as they have watched me do over the years.”

However, the younger demographic is just learning how to rush new members.

“We use similar techniques on our future initiates just as they were used on us, simply put what we want potential members to see is that as a brotherhood we are close,” says Chris Pritting, a freshman.

“Learning from veterans is best considering that eventually one day my pledge class will be the veterans,” says Annie Gentry, also a freshman.

Recruitment leaves many eyes speculating as both fraternities and sororities are keeping close watch over their potential members. Keeping a close eye on this upcoming recruitment season are the staff members. Fraternities and Sororities are prone to stereotyping because of the behavior of certain chapters.

Dean of Students Roberta Bigger addressed this by saying that “rather than focusing on the negative aspects of Greek life, there is lots of good that comes from Greek life.”

“For instance, Greek life brings about connections with outside chapters as well as with alumni of Wofford College,” Bigger went on to say.

Matthew Hammett, assistant dean of students, also commented that “Greek life brings about leadership opportunities on campus weather through intramural sports or academia.”

The one concern that many students and staff stress is the difference in the process for men and women through the recruitment process. For women, the process is much more robust as opposed to the very lax recruitment process for men as any sorority member can attest.

The houses remain the most important aspect of the college as of now.

“The houses will be a spectacle to see not just for current students but also for the alumni who are planning to visit on the opening convocation of which the actual date remains unclear,” says President Nayef Samhat.

The basis of recruitment, however, remains the same. Each Greek organization is doing everything it possibly can to get the best pledge class but at the same time experience what will be a permanent way of doing things as their will be no more Fall Recruitment.

$0
$500