Senior Spotlight: Collins is lights out

Collins is emerging as a leader by example on this Terrier team. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki

By: Kyle Hofmann, Contributing Writer

As the men’s basketball team struggled through a tough non-conference schedule, it looked as if this season may be a rebuilding year for the Terriers. The team has always been sound defensively under head coach Mike Young. Where the team needed answers was on offense. Who would score when they needed it the most?

Now in the thick of conference play, senior Spencer Collins has answered that call. He is averaging 20.3 points per game and shooting 55.2 percent from beyond the arc, leading the SOCON in both categories. The Old Gold and Black sat down with Spencer this week.

What was it like growing up in the Greenville/Spartanburg area playing basketball against the competition here?

It was great playing against competition. Growing up in the area allowed me to create bonds with others and also many rivalries throughout high school basketball and even today in college. In my high school years, I knew just about everyone in Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens and even Anderson counties. It’s something I’ll never forget, and I’m forever thankful for many friends that I made from playing the sport of basketball during my life.

What is the support like from people who live here and even played against you here in the area?

The support is tremendous. There are many people who ask me on a daily basis if they can come and watch me play at Wofford or if we have a game that’s relatively close. We played Clemson earlier this season down in Greenville and there were so many people back home from Easley who came out and supported. It really means a lot because I wouldn’t be able to make it where I am today without the positive influences that played a very huge role in my life.

Do you have a basketball mentor or coach that has really helped you?

My father since day one. He’s always pushing me to become a better player and that I only have one opportunity in my life to play the game I love but also use my God given talent later after my college career is over (that’s if it’s meant to be). I’m forever thankful that he’s taught me everything in life about the game. There’s also Coach Young who’s always believed in me and also pushes me on the court and also academically in the classroom. There are many people I can constantly continue to name, but I’m thankful for everyone who’s helped me get where I am today.

What is the best or most memorable piece of advice someone has given you about playing the game?

The best advice I’ve received is to be yourself on the court. Do what’s best to help the team to win the game. That could be getting more offensive rebounds for the team, scoring the ball, being a great defender, etc.

How have you been able to elevate your game to where it is now in your senior season?

I’ve worked on the ability to shoot off the move, which is a very tough aspect to do in the game of basketball. Steph Curry is amazing, and in my opinion, the best ever to create his own shot, or even get a shot off the move during a game. This has helped me become a much better scorer in the Southern Conference.

Who’s game have you taken bits and pieces from and applied it to your skill set?

I usually watch Steph Curry. He creates and gets his shot off so easily at the NBA level.

What kind of ball do you prefer? Do you like shooting with the wave ball?

I prefer to use Wilson.

Peanut butter or Nutella?

I don’t like either.

What is the first thing you do when you get out of class on Friday?

That depends on my schedule. I usually head straight to the gym to practice or get extra shots up. Working on my game is very critical and I have to get better every day.

What is the one candy you would bring into a movie theater?

Sour Patch Kids

$0
$500