The inner world of animals

“So many students have animals, that just to learn more about a little creature that’s running around your house, and their world, is a benefit,” says Heidi Campbell-Robinson, of Carl Safina’s presentation on the inner life of animals.

BESTSELLING AUTHOR CARL SAFINA TO GIVE PRESENTATION AT USC UPSTATE–

By Addie Lawrence, Editor

Have you ever wondered what thoughts bounce around a dog’s head or how cats express their feelings? On Feb. 16, Carl Safina will present “Beyond Words: What Animals Think and Feel,” a Keynote talk titled after his New York Times bestselling book. The event will take place at University of South Carolina Upstate.

With a TED talk featuring over 1 million views and a PBS series entitled “Saving the Ocean,” Safina found his way to Spartanburg through the work of Heidi Campbell-Robinson, president and founder of the WaterRock Institute.

“He obviously has a passion for nature, the world we’ve been given. As a scientist, he does a really effective job of being able to communicate difficult concepts in understandable ways. He engages with the topics that he has researched,” Campbell-Robinson says.

WaterRock Institute is a nonprofit organization dedicated to life enrichment, Campbell-Robinson says. Based in Asheville, N.C., the institute will make its debut in Spartanburg with Safina’s presentation.

“Our focus is to create forums for engaged learning, and we’re particularly interested in programs that can foster leadership development, that can help people with creative expression, and also foster spiritual growth,” Campbell-Robinson says.

Campbell-Robinson, an ordained minister and former chaplain to the Naval Reserves, connects her faith to the themes in Safina’s book.

“Not only are we stewards of animals, but God is the creator, and we can learn something about God from the animals as well. And I’d say that’s true for me personally,” Campbell-Robinson says. “My husband and I have had dogs through the years who have just been such wonderful little creatures and companions, and their faithfulness and loving nature really exemplify some of God’s qualities.”

The event, hosted by Wofford College, Converse College, University of South Carolina Upstate and Spartanburg Methodist College, is an opportunity for Spartanburg to claim its title as a college town, Campbell-Robinson says.

The event will begin with a reception at 6:30 p.m., and the keynote presentation will start at 7:30 p.m., followed by a book signing. Interested students should contact Dr. Kay Savage. A limited amount of free tickets are available, and a van will be available to transport students.

A portion of the proceeds will go toward the Humane Society.

What does Campbell-Robinson believe Safina will bring to the Spartanburg community and the students who attend the event?

“With Carl Safina, care for the earth and care for all of its creatures, respect for each other, opportunities to learn and expressions for joy. There are a lot of earnest things going on the world. Let’s find ways for communities to be joyful together.”

View Comments (3)
$0
$500