Diversity and race

Dialogues on race and diversity extend into Greek life. Pictured, students pose in front of the new Greek Village, which will include a multicultural house.

By: Essence Buckman, Staff writer

On Dec. 8, 2015, the Old Gold and Black distributed the sixth edition of the school newspaper. An article named “Can We Talk About Race,” written by Wofford seniors Jonathan Franklin and Savanny Savath was featured. This article consisted of opinions from Wofford students ranging from first-years to seniors. The common question asked was if they believed Wofford was diverse, and the common answer was no. Some students also shared their experiences of what they believed to be a microagression against them or racism.

This article received some positive feedback.

“I enjoyed the article,” sophomore Olivia McGowan says. “The article spoke the truth and showed that students of color at Wofford still are faced with those uncomfortable situations. I am glad someone wrote about it.”

However, on Dec. 10, 2015, the Old Gold and Black posted on Facebook an editorial written by sophomore H.D. Stone who opposed the topic of Franklin and Savath’s article.

“‘Can we talk about race?’ asks a piece in the last issue of the Old Gold and Black,” Stone states in his article. “I will go ahead and answer this question: ‘No,’ well, at least not in the sense that the writers of this article so obviously yearn for.”

His article sparked a lot of controversy due to various student responses either agreeing or disagreeing with his opinion.

Due to the reaction, Campus Union delegates Donovan Hicks, class of 2016, and Patrick Longest, class of 2017, posted an announcement on the Wofford College Campus Union Facebook page, with the intent to host a student led dialogue on the topics of race and diversity on campus for those interested in this issue to attend.

So on Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2016, this dialogue was held in Olin Theatre. Franklin, Savath, Essence Buckman, ’18, Stone, and senior class President Billy Moody sat in front of Campus Union members and interested students, explaining their opinions on the articles and their impact; Longest stood in as a mediator for the discussion.

“This is an event I am glad I did not miss,” Helena Fulmore ’16 says. “At the beginning I could sense a sort of tension in the room, but as soon as the audience [asked] questions, an actual dialogue occurred between students. I could see eyes opening and minds twirling.”

No administration was present. Everyone in attendance silently listened to each person as they stated their opinions on how these issues affect them personally, or the campus as a whole. Before the discussion commenced, Longest mentioned that all should be respectful of each person as they speak. No bashing occurred during this session.

”I feel like the dialogue was a step in moving in the right direction…in terms of us, as an institution and campus community, moving forward to talk about an issue that’s so important,” Franklin says.

The questions and comments from the panel and audience lasted for about an hour.

The overall conclusion to the dialogue resulted in various members of Campus Union asking what they could do to help students of color feel like their cultures are being included, along with white culture, to make Wofford’s culture suitable for and enjoyed by everyone.

“I do not want this [discussion on race and diversity] to just be the end…,” sophomore class treasurer Drake McCormick says. “If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.”

“I really hope that, after this needed conversation, things will change with time so all students can feel welcomed, and have a happy and inclusive Wofford experience,” McGowan says.

$0
$500