Baseball Caps

The Terriers gave the Bobcats a ruff time, ultimately showing whos Boss.
The Terriers gave the Bobcats a ruff time, ultimately showing who’s Boss.

By: Kim Arjune, Contributing Writer

Ending a weekend series with three wins out of four games against Ohio, Wofford Baseball shows it’s destined to make this season successful.

Following a 2-0 loss against the University of South Carolina Upstate, the Terriers played a hard game with four hits from infielder Alec Paradowski, catcher Carson Waln, infielder Alex Malsch and outfielder Demetrius Jennings. However, Upstate managed to keep the upper hand by scoring two at the bottom of the sixth inning.

Wofford pitcher Austin Higginbotham had his first career start against Upstate and struck out four batters. Followed by Higginbotham, pitchers Jordan Accetta and Spencer Kulman finished the game, keeping the score at 2-0 for the Spartans.

Following the game against the University of South Carolina, the Terriers played a four game weekend series against Ohio, winning three of the four games against the Bobcats. Pitching for the Terriers was senior Matt Milburn who pitched for eight innings against the Bobcats, allowing only one run from the opposition.

Infielders Paradowski, Max McDougald and catcher Waln helped lead the Terriers to the second inning where outfielder Jennings and Paradowski put the Terriers on the board with two. The Terriers moved up to 5-0 where outfielder McClain Bradley, infielder Brett Hash, outfielder Kody Ruedisili and catcher Cody Miller each scored in the fifth inning.  Senior pitcher Will Stillman was sent in as the relief pitcher in the ninth inning where the Bobcats scored two.

The Terriers continued their game day weekend against Ohio with two games on Saturday where they both won and lost against Ohio. The Terriers beat the Bobcats 6-3 for the first game. However the Bobcats retaliated with a 16-2 win against the Terriers.

Pitcher Adam Scott started off the weekend series against Ohio. The Terriers loaded the bases early in the game in the first inning where Miller walked, which put the Terriers on the board 2-1 at the end of the first inning. With bases loaded once again in the second inning, McDougald helped the Terriers score another two runs by the end of the second, making the score 4-2. Jennings and Paradowski scored two more at the end of the sixth inning, putting the Terriers up 6-2. Junior pitchers Elliot Lance and Accetta ended the game for the Terriers, where they won 6-3.

For the second game of the day, the Terriers started the inning off behind 2-1, with Pardowski’s first homerun of the season in the first inning, followed by a run from loaded bases at the bottom of the fifth, which placed the Terriers only three points behind Ohio at 5-2.

Two first-time career starts occurred at the end of the game by pitcher Grant Byers and freshman Thomas Tatham, as well as pitching from senior Connor Foltyn, juniors Kulman and Chris Sheehan, sophomore Quintin Pile and freshman Will Fuqua.  The Terriers fell to Ohio with a score of 16-2.

Concluding their weekend series, the Terriers defeated the Bobcats 6-5 on Sunday. Catcher Miller, outfielders Chandler Engel and Bradley, and infielder Paradowski scored four runs, giving the Terriers a 4-1 lead in the second inning. By the eighth inning, infielder Malsch tied the game 5-5.  Stillman had a career high of seven strike-outs in the final three innings for Wofford. Sophomore catcher Mack Nathanson brought the Terriers home, giving them the leading run in the 11th inning, ending the game at 6-5.

Stillman was named the Southern Conference Pitcher of the month in February with a 0.00 ERA; Stillman received the same award in February of 2015.

In a game following the weekend against Ohio University, the Terriers were unfortunately defeated by the University of South Carolina. While the Terriers struggled throughout the game with stranded basemen and various unsuccessful hits, outfielder Bradley still managed to put the Terriers on the board, tying the game at 1-1 in the third inning. Although it was a valiant effort, the Terriers lost to the Gamecocks, 7-1.

$0
$500