Considering Campus Union?

This advertisement was used to recruit new members to Campus Union.

By: Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

As the Petition for Campus Election deadline is set for April 5, 2016, Campus Union’s Campus Relations Chair Lauren Cabe invited the Old Gold and Black to sit in on a meeting to highlight the business that occurs on Monday nights in Olin Theatre.

Thirty minutes prior to the meeting, the Executive Cabinet begins gathering to prepare for the meeting.  Delegates filter in and casually discuss campus news, weekend plans and impending proposals.

Campus Union Delegates work closely with college administration as a voice for the students, primarily Dean Roberta Bigger but with monthly visits from President Nayef Samhat. At the March 7 meeting, Samhat appeared before the delegates to answer questions on topics ranging from the newly selected provost (whom faculty and students have welcomed with “widespread enthusiasm”), to the increase in tuition (attributable in part to the increasing professionalization of running higher education), general education curriculum changes (Samhat prefers core to distributional curriculum) and, of course, the Greek Village (“I’m sorry.”).

After discussing student concerns directly with Samhat, Campus Union proceeds as usual in its schedule of business.

First, the invocation; second, remarks from the historian; third, approval of the minutes and agenda. All, of course, following Robert’s Rules of Order.

After the delegate Roll Call, the real order of business begins.

Each Executive Cabinet member first reports on their respective agendas, including the upcoming Cabinet and Committee elections and the financial status of the Campus Union’s budget.

Each Committee then reports its respective news, including important remarks on Campus Relations efforts, Facility updates, Wofford Activity Council events, and Wofford Live events.

Senior Isaiah Addison shared much-anticipated updates for Spring Weekend, which will take place on April 22 and 23. According to Addison, there will be inflatables in Phase III, a luau in Phase V and a band party on Friday night, followed by the traditional volley ball tournament on Saturday.

Following Committee reports, the President opens up the floor for proposals. This week, Campus Union passed a $1,000 proposal to bring the African Acrobatic group Zuzu to campus on March 17.  Additionally, proposals were passed to place shower benches in Marsh Residence Hall, purchase a new set of pool table sets, mini basketball balls and nets and to help subsidize the cost of travel for members of the Purple Scarf Society to attend the annual Women to Watch Awards in Washington, D.C.

All proposals are discussed according to Robert’s Rules; first, the sponsoring delegate explains the proposition, second, the delegates engage in a pro-con debate, and third, they vote on each proposal by hand votes or roll call.

After a report from Bigger and the Parliamentarian’s report that the meeting was held in good order, the Union opens up the floor for comments and announcements before adjourning the meeting.

If you’ve ever wondered who decides which band plays at Spring Concert and where the majority of the decisions relating to student activities at Wofford are made, Campus Union is the answer. If you want to be a part of the decisions that eventually affect your Wofford experience, come to Olin Theater at 6 p.m. on Monday nights – meetings are open to all students.

And if you’re really interested in playing an active roll in representing student voice, apply for a position on Campus Union. Applications can be completed online on the Campus Union page, and must be submitted by 8 p.m. on April 5, 2016. Elections will take place on Tuesday, April 12, 2016.

$0
$500