Wofford’s first dating website and app

Boye and Curl pretended to be a couple as they prepared the finishing touches and unveiling of WoCoLoVe. Left to right: Boye and Curl. (Photo courtesy of Louis Shyman)

By: Kant Flirt, Staff Writer

Online dating has increased in popularity due to smart phone apps, such as Tinder, OkCupid and for gay and bisexual men, Grindr. Dating websites like AshleyMadison and Match also remain popular. The popularity of dating and apps inspired seniors and twins Tom Boye and Jerry Curl to create their own dating app.

“Since ChristianMingle was already taken, we had to think of a more clever and unique name for the app. And we actually considered MethodistsUnite but that sounded too formal and a copycat of ChristianMingle. It took us three days but we came up with the name WoCoLoVe. I think [the name] sums up the app’s function and purpose while also keeping it Wofford oriented,” says Curl.

With help from The Space and its Launch program, which focuses on entrepreneurship, Boye and Curl created WoCoLoVe in two weeks.

“It’s a great thing, what Tom and Jerry are doing. Wofford emphasizes innovation, and their dating app, which is also Wofford’s first one, is a prime example of what students can accomplish when they utilize the resources offered to them. It’s been a wonderful experience working with these two,” says Justin Case, director of The Space’s Launch program.

“It’s like any other dating app out there, but it’s catered to Wofford students because we’re a small college and sometimes friends end up dating the same people. We wanted to change that and give students a way to bypass the awkwardness of finding someone, especially someone who is single. WoCoLoVe does that,” says Boye.

Boye and Curl launched the free app on Friday, April 1, 2016. It is also available as a website through a tab on myWofford. The app includes filters which help the user narrow down potential matches. Filters include clothing and style, major, religion, gender, Greek Life affiliation, political affiliation and GPA.

Reception of the app has been positive.

“I’ve enjoyed [the app] so far. It’s easy to use. It’s like Tinder but you know, for Wofford students. My favorite part about it is the filters because everyone has a preference in the people they date. You don’t want to be interested in someone and find out that they’re a Democrat. Not that I’m against Democrats. WoCoLoVe helps a lot and it’s convenient,” says junior Prudence Singleton.

“Tom and Jerry are my bros. So I was pretty stoked when they told me about their app idea. I’ve met a lot of cool people I wouldn’t have talked to before because of the app. You can use it as a friend app,” says senior Bro Hamm.

Another feature of WoCoLoVe is the Ex feature, which is a social connections map of the user’s ex-partners. The map shows the user if any of their exes are connected to one another. If the two exes are connected, then the map connects a line between the two profiles and highlights their connection.

“There’s a complicated algorithm behind the Ex feature. People kept asking us how the app was able to track everyone they dated, so I told them that everything is on the internet now. You can find anything about anyone. The algorithm does all the research,” says Curl.

“When I heard about the Ex feature, I thought it was a bad joke. But when I downloaded WoCoLoVe and checked it out, I finally understood what all the hype was about. I still think it’s a little stalkerish and intrusive to people’s privacy. Then again, Wofford is such a small college. Everyone knows everyone’s business anyway. The app will help everyone bond more,” says Hamm.

Check out WoCoLoVe on the app store and tell us what you think.

Disclaimer: This is a satirical article of pure fiction for our April edition, The Old Black & Blue

$0
$500