Props to you, prof

By: Savanny Savath, Staff Writer

I have decided that there is no way I can avoid clichés as I prepare for post-undergraduate life and shuffle my note cards of farewells in an arbitrary order. Some of my peers are savoring their last few weeks with roommates, squads and groups of squirrels, which (fun fact) are called drays or scurries. Other seniors continue their calf workouts so that they can run across the stage and never look back.

Don’t get me wrong. I am working my calves off every time I walk up the stairs in Old Main, but that’s only because I cannot believe I am graduating soon. By now, I am an undergraduate student by habit and now I can’t shake it off. One of the reasons why I can without irony use the hashtag WhyWofford is the wonderful professors I have had over my four years.

As an English major, I am closer to the professors in the English department, but thanks to Wofford’s liberal arts education, I am also thankful for my professors in other departments. All of my professors have helped me become a more—cliché alert—well-rounded student. There are, however, four professors who stand out because they went beyond teaching.

I will explain more by thanking those individual professors.

In my sophomore year, fall semester, I made the tough decision to drop my psychology major and focus on my English studies. As a result, I ended up taking professor of religion Trina Jones’s class. One of the assignments was to write an essay about a time or situation where we did or did not feel like ourselves. I wrote about my struggles with my sexuality and how I did not feel like myself around family and relatives.

Along with my letter grade, Dr. Jones wrote a sympathetic and encouraging note, including the most impactful comments: “Please let me know if you ever want to talk. (Or not.) I’ve got your back.” This surprised me because I assumed professors were cold and distant. I struggled terribly that semester and those words kept my spirits up. It kept me going. I am still surprised and touched that after two years, Dr. Jones remembers me. Thank you.

In the spring semester of the same academic year, I made the unwise decision to take five English courses. Two of my professors were Kim Rostan and John Ware. I was suffering from anxiety attacks for the first time in my life, but I did not understand that that was what was happening to me. Dr. Rostan noticed. She helped me understand and cope with my anxiety. My mental health was more important than all of my deadlines. She still continues to help me in my endeavors. Thank you.

In a meeting, after discussing my research paper, Dr. Ware surprised me by asking, “How are you doing” and actually took the time to hear about my concerns and well-being. When he found out that I was taking five English classes, he even offered to grant an extension for my paper. I didn’t think students were allowed to ask for extensions because I thought it was an excuse and excuses were unacceptable. Dr. Ware taught me that it was okay to ask for help. Thank you. Finally but not least, I had the honor of taking professor of English Carol Wilson’s class in my junior year. Dr. Wilson brings a vibrant energy into the classroom every time she teaches. During the roll call, she even takes the time to ask each student, “How are you today?” Her consideration and kindness decreased my depression and anxiety, even if only during her class. Dr. Wilson continues to greet me and inquire about my life and that has made me a happier person. Thank you.

Those four professors made me feel like a person who mattered. They made me feel like I truly belonged in the Wofford community, especially when I do not live on campus. Although I was tempted to, I did not give up because of them. Their constant consideration and encouragement have helped me rise above my lowest points at Wofford.

To my professors: I am grateful to have been your student. Thank you. To my fellow seniors: while you prepare your farewells and spend more time with friends, please do not forget to thank your professors. They have our backs too.

View Comments (2)
$0
$500