Petition to “make substantial changes to Wofford’s lease agreements with Greek Life” surfaces

By Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

At around 3 p.m., a petition was posted online requesting Wofford’s administration to address growing campus concern regarding the lease agreements for the new fraternity row. By 8 p.m., the petition had over 200 supporters.

The petition, addressed to the Student Affairs Staff (President Nayef Samhat, Vice President Jason Burr, Dean Roberta Bigger and Dean Matthew Hammett), calls for the following: a reduction in rent; the ability for organizations to hang flags, signs and banners; the inclusion of the Judicial Commission in cases involving alcohol violations; a reduction in insurance liability; the elimination of “unreasonable” penalty fines; the allowance of tobacco products; fewer “hindrances” of organizational individuality; and fewer social rules that “pressure” organizations to hold and pay for social events in the communal colonnade.

The petition has received feedback and comments from current students, alumni and even prospective students.

Student Body President Chris Paschal told the Old Gold and Black that when it comes to the lease agreements, he is “putting his own personal opinions aside.”

“Greek life is a huge part of this campus in terms of culture, and also just in the sheer number of members. I commend them for voicing their opinion… and I am here for any suggestions. I would love to help facilitate conversation between Greek organizations and the Administration,” he says.

The full petition can be read online here.

The petition surfaced after a meeting last Monday night, during which the Student Affairs Office presented the leases to Greek organizations.

The full lease agreements in question can be found here.

View Comments (5)
$0
$500