New ministry makes appearance on campus: Introducing Arise

By: Essence Buckman, Staff Writer

“The [Arise Services] are for everyone. Every class, race, student, faculty and even non-students can join us. Come one, come all,” says Minister Chris “Ceej” Jefferson, who found his way to Wofford with his wife, Amber, to start a new campus ministry, Arise. “We hcampusope to pack out McMillan Theatre and even go to multiple services, a bigger theater or the coliseum.”

Jefferson explains that Arise has been a thought in his and his wife’s minds for a year. They originally considered a church in a movie theatre for the younger crowds, but then  figured that Wofford would be the ideal location to target a college audience.

“We spent a lot of time seeking where we could be most effective,” he says. “Everything pointed towards a community of college students.” He feels his calling is to “offer motivation to the young to help them understand their purpose and how to live, in order to reap the fullness of God in their lives.”

After their inquiries for a location fell short, they set up a meeting with Reverend Ron Robinson, Wofford’s chaplain. Through the help of Rev. Ron and a small committee of students, Arise was approved to come on campus and have weekly worship services.

“I thought Arise was enjoyable and educational,” says Aaliyah Keels ’17. “It was nice to have a positive space to share your faith with other students.”

Due to Jefferson’s profession as a Christian rapper and his love for music, those who attend the services in McMillan should expect to see different Christian artists come to perform, followed by a message and Q and A session.

Minister Jefferson doesn’t want students to feel like they’re at church, but like they are having an “experience in which all roads lead to salvation.” Arise wants their service to be thought of as a place of laughter, learning and feeling love from all the people in attendance. The organization hopes that students see sincerity in what they do.

“It was very entertaining and educational,” says Olivia McGowan ’18. “I enjoyed the music and the encouragement that they gave us. I definitely felt God’s love in the atmosphere.”

Arise encourages the Wofford community to get involved and come to the services which will last about an hour. “I want to be engaging enough that students don’t want to miss a week, and they talk about it around campus” says Jefferson.

An addition to the 7:15 p.m. services every Thursday, Arise offers a prayer line for students to call at (864) 475-7373.

View Comments (1)
$0
$500