Campus Union welcomes first year delegates: Interviews with freshman delegates tell of plans for the future

Rod McCants ’17, chair of the judicial commission, swears in the six new delegates. Photo by Abbey Brasington.

By: Brie White, Senior Writer

The Campus Union Assembly is looking a little different these past few weeks. There is a new addition in the form of six freshman delegates.

Bali Channa is from Boiling Springs, S.C. and served on her student counsel during high school. She says, “Sitting in on Campus Union meetings even before I became a delegate reminded me of Palmetto Girls State because of the parliamentary procedure.” Channa hopes to be open-minded and make good proposals. “Wofford has such a community feeling. Everyone is so friendly.”

Freddy Madrid, originally from Honduras, is interested in majoring in Business Economics with a pre-law focus. He is trilingual, fluent in English, Spanish and Arabic. He lived in Honduras until the tenth grade and spent his eleventh and twelfth grade years in Greenwood, S.C., which he thinks is a “marvelous” place. Madrid has past experience with student government, serving twice as student body president in high school. He says, “I want to do something productive… I know how to deal with people.” His slogan for his CU campaign was “Less Talk, More Action” and he is interested in proposing embellishment projects for campus. Regarding his experience at Wofford so far, Madrid says, “God enlightened me… Wofford is where the impossible becomes possible.”

Luke Lovell is more local. From Gainesville, Ga., Lovell started his first business when he was thirteen years old. He says, “I want to make Wofford the best place possible.” His interest lies in simplistic, small changes that can improve student life. “I want people to be aware that I’m here and that I want them to be comfortable… even if it’s a little issue.” He’s interested particularly in more efficient laundry services and a potential revamp of dining options. “Everyone at Wofford is here to support and help each other.”

From Huntington, W. Va., Alec Conrad found out about Wofford through his sister who went to Mercer. He initially visited as a junior. He says he can understand someone finding Campus Union “slightly intimidating . . .  I was reserved at first.” His hopes lie in “small changes that are tangible and impactful,” like better lighting around campus and more advertising in the form of signs. These are potential endeavors that he will take in the form of proposals. As a member of the Campus Relations committee, he will be responsible for promotions for Campus Union and social media. On a campus where “everyone will talk to you,” Conrad is excited for a year serving on Campus Union.

Curneisha Williams is from Darlington, S.C. and has hopes for a job with the Department of Education. She’s looking to major in Business Economics and Government, with a potential minor in mathematics. “I have always participated in student government and I view this as an opportunity to step into my career early. Campus Union is very realistic.” Future proposal ideas for Williams include an emphasis on the cleanliness of Marsh and Greene bathrooms. Curneisha has also been assigned to the Campus Relations committee. She says, “Campus Union is an open atmosphere just like Wofford as a whole. People feel like they belong here and there is a place for everyone. I feel like Wofford is a big family.”

$0
$500