Introducing Wofford’s New Arts Professor: Jessica Scott-Felder

By: Sheridan Kate Murray, Staff Writer

Atlanta native Jessica Scott-Felder is the newest addition to Wofford’s art department as assistant professor of studio art. She is currently teaching two drawing courses and one painting course at the college. Scott-Felder obtained her bachelor of arts degree in studio art at Spelman College and her masters in fine art at Georgia State.

While Scott-Felder has taught at both Georgia State and Spelman college, she was drawn to Wofford largely because of its culture. “I love how rich the experience is, with students involved in Greek Life, athletics and other extra-curriculars on campus. I really enjoy the culture here, and I’m already learning a lot about the Wofford way,” she says.

Although she has only been here a few months, Scott-Felder has already had a plethora of positive classroom experiences at the college. “I absolutely love the students here. They’re very eager and engaged with what I’m teaching,” she says. “Although we do not have a studio art major here yet, there are so many talented students in terms of the arts. I am constantly asking students if they’ve considered the minor, and many are actively pursuing it, which is amazing. I am really looking forward to developing the studio art portion of the program as a major.”

She believes that the new Rosalind Sallenger Richardson Center for the Arts is an important step in the right direction towards the acquisition of a studio art major and the overall expansion of the arts program at Wofford.

“It’s honestly a dream come true,” she says. “To be able to come into an institution and influence the physicality of a creative space is incredibly inspiring. I think it’s the ultimate form of creative expression as an artist and an educator to think about the classes that will be taught and create a space that will support them. I’ve always dreamt of having the opportunity to develop an art space like the Richardson building.”

Her dreams for the Richardson Center also include increased collaboration with other art departments on campus, including the theatre department. In the spring, Scott-Felder will be teaching an installation and performance art class. She says, “I’m really interested in the idea of collaborating with a theater class, and a set design class, and allowing for those to mingle. Collaboration is where all the rules can be broken.”

Scott-Felder will have her own studio space in the Richardson Center, and she hopes to conduct open studio hours as a new and innovative learning experience for students. “I’m hoping to plan some studio walks with the students as well as the other faculty members on campus. I really see myself as an advocate for the arts here, as a way of enriching the community. I think the building is a great place to start,” she says.

When asked if she had one piece of advice to give students in regards to the arts, she cites advice that she believes has served her well as an artist. “There are two types of people in the world; people that create art, and people that appreciate it. I believe that everyone is one or the other. Sometimes you’re both. I would encourage students to immerse themselves in any opportunity that they can in any art form. Find something in it that interests you and challenges you. Be a creator and an appreciator.”

$0
$500