Newly chartered organizations and clubs on campus

By: Brie White, Senior Writer

Fredy Omar Madrid ‘20 has founded an Organization for Latin American Students, OLAS. During his visit to campus in April, he spoke with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion about “being Hispanic.” He realized that there was no organization that represented Spanish students, so when he arrived on campus this fall as a freshman, he got to work on getting such an organization chartered.

Dr. Camille Bethea is the faculty advisor and the club is associated with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. The goal behind OLAS is to promote Spanish language and culture in an influential and important way on Wofford’s campus. Where things stand now, Madrid says, “We are in our baby phase. We meet once every two weeks and have 50 members signed up from the interest fair. Among them are people of color, Muslims and Native Americans. We would really like to appeal to everyone.”

Madrid, who also serves as the organization’s president, is working with the vice president and treasurer  on ways to raise student involvement and grow the organization. In the works is a November event called “Salsa on the Seal.” There is also an interest in community service with the hopes of tutoring and mentoring Hispanic students from Arcadia Elementary.

Also newly chartered is the Wofford Atheist Anonymous Club. The club’s faculty advisor is Dr. Amy Sweitzer and the organization as a whole is affiliated with the Secular Student Alliance (SSA) and the Center for Inquiry (CFI). Co-Presidents and founders Ellie Gagnon and Rhiannon Lemaster saw a need for an acceptance based club on campus and chartered WAA earlier this semester. “Roughly 10 years ago, this idea wouldn’t work, but now diversity is a goal for Wofford,” says Lemaster. “I don’t know how many Christian clubs there are but the list is extensive and there was nothing to represent people who are non-religious.”

Furman, USC Upstate and Clemson all have organizations that represent secular ideas and WAA appeals to those who define themselves as Secularist, Freethinker, Atheist, Agnostic and Humanist. Both Gagnon and Lemaster affiliate as atheists, which they consider “someone who has a lack of belief in any kind of high power or afterlife,” or, literally, a lack of theology. However, this is not the only kind of person that can attend. Wofford Atheist Anonymous meetings hopes to be a safe place for people who are questioning their faith.

“This is more to promote open-mindedness. If you want to learn about something that isn’t your viewpoint, then you are welcome as well,” says Gagnon. “Some people are shaky in their beliefs, wondering, ‘maybe religion isn’t for me.’ They can see if this is. Another goal for us is to set the record straight. Atheism is not associated with Satanism, and it doesn’t mean there is a lack of morals. We are people. Anarchy is what people think of when they hold that misconception.”

Wofford Atheist Anonymous will start meeting regularly next semester.

CAPTION: Another hope of Fredy Omar Madrid is seeing Spanish articles in the Old Gold and Black.

$0
$500