Keeping up with Campus Union

By: Brie White, Senior Writer

The Board of Trustees visits Wofford’s campus biannually; however, this semester is the second time the board has met with members of Campus Union. On Sunday, Oct. 16th a meeting took place with available CU representatives, administrators and board members. The following day the board broke into their committees and representatives from CU cabinet attended these.

President Chris Paschal attended the student experience committee meeting, discussing Spring Rush as it pertains to sorority women and mental health on campus. Drake McCormick, treasurer and chair of the financial affairs committee, attended the operations committee meeting. Chie Mushayamunda, vice president, attended the advancement committee meeting that targets marketing and communications of the college. Henry Cornelson, who is not a member of the cabinet but a CU Junior Class delegate, attended the academics committee meeting that addressed student opportunity.

“The Board looks at the college at a 40,000 foot level. They are more involved in long term planning,” says Paschal. “However, a lot of micro level, student level issues are concerns that they want to hear. The Board wants to progress Wofford. In many ways, Wofford is a business to them, and we are their consumers — so they want to hear what works, what doesn’t work and how we can work out any issues in the future planning of the school.”

Cornelson explains, “Essentially the Board is the highest power at Wofford and makes most of the long-term, conceptual decisions.  President Samhat and much of the administration technically work for the Board, but together they work to provide us, the student body, with the best possible college experience.”

On Sunday night the greater assembly of Campus Union met with the Board for roughly an hour, discussing areas of concern and important aspects of campus life, including academics, social life and the college’s association with the United Methodist Church.

Of the operations committee, McCormick says, “… the past year and a half has been quite exciting due to the new facility announcements. Additionally, I have a better understanding behind the reasoning of the tuition increases, as well as some of the plans the college has for moving forward.  All I can say is that it is quite an exciting time to be at Wofford and, again, I am very fortunate to be part of such a great community.”

$0
$500