First-year students renovate labyrinth

By: Steele Smith, Staff Writer

Thursday, Nov. 17, Philosophy in Action, the first-year Living Learning Community (LLC) led by Dr. Dinkins, reopened the labyrinth at Glendale Shoals, home of Wofford’s Goodall Environmental Studies Center. The Meditation Celebration, as the event was titled, gave an opportunity for Wofford and Spartanburg to experience the renovations and improvements that have been made to the original labyrinth site that was created by the 2015-16 Philosophy in Action LLC.

This is only the second year that Wofford has given first year students the chance to take part in LLC programs. Living Learning Communities allow students to engage in a learning experience that explores a topic across multiple courses, both inside and outside of the classroom. For the Fall 2016 semester, first-year students applied to participate in one of ten LLCs that cover a variety of subjects. The students in each of these communities take at least two classes together and live in the same residence hall.

Vivian Coleman describes the improvements the LLC made to the labyrinth: “We had to do a project to put philosophy in action, and we decided to renew the labyrinth,” she says. “We dug out all the gravel and then paid professionals to put down a liner so that grass wouldn’t grow up between the rocks.   We came back out and put the gravel back in. It was strenuous, but we did it.”

Josh Olmi and Ben Myer, two other members of the LLC, constructed a bench from a felled tree and placed it outside the labyrinth. Additionally, the LLC has planted four dogwood trees that they hope will bloom beautifully in the spring.

“We decided what we wanted to change about the labyrinth, and our main goal was to make it more sustainable. We also decided we wanted to beautify the area,” explains Helen Seddelmeyer, project manager of construction and design.

According to Seddelmeyer, the goals of the class were twofold. “Our class is about ethics and trying to figure out what makes us up as individuals, and how we play a role in the world,” she says, speaking on the philosophical aspect. “The ‘in action’ part is where we come up with projects around campus and Spartanburg that provide aid to people.”

Saddelmeyer thinks the LLC made a project that will last for awhile. “I think we did a good job making sure the labyrinth is going to be around for a long time,” she says. “My friend and classmate, Reagan Owens, was in charge of marketing and outreach, and I think that they did a really good job of advertising for the labyrinth. I feel like a lot more people know about it now, which was our goal.”

$0
$500