Campus Union reconvenes for second semester

Author: By Brie White, Senior Writer

Several times per academic year President Nayef Samhat comes to speak with the Wofford College Campus Union assembly to update the body on campus action, the board of trustees and happenings of the college.

On Monday, Feb. 6, Samhat commented on the courtyard of Dupre residence hall, stating that the college is in the process of ordering new furniture.

Re-vamping doesn’t stop there. Currently, there are preliminary assessments of food vendors and programs at Wofford, with the potential to change our food service provider. With the new basketball arena and art center comes the task of deciding what to do in BenJo and the Black Box Theatre inside the Campus Life building. Samhat says, “In the next two to three years, what you would see is a much different student space.”

Samhat also clarified that the next board meeting would take a different, retreat-style format, with preliminary business and diversity conversations taking precedence. Interim is being evaluated by the college faculty as there is concern about consistency of rigor across courses and creating opportunities for everyone to do high impact practice in the short month. Samhat says, “I’m a fan of a graded interim. I don’t think there is any [faculty] desire to eliminate it.”

A hot topic of discussion and one that Samhat deliberately addressed with the assembly was that of his emailed response to President Donald Trump’s executive order restricting immigration. Samhat claims his “infamous statement” has “gotten a lot of negative reaction. But, I’m pleased to say I’ve gotten far more positive reactions. I didn’t do it for popularity.”

He says his statement was consistent with the values of higher education and with similar statements made by other higher education institutions. “I have a responsibility to students, faculty and staff… We are open, inclusive, diverse, tolerant and we engage in debate intellectually.”

Samhat says the statement is not one which was intended to be political. “The idea that I’ve closed off debate is entirely untrue. I defended the right of Donald Trump and Ben Carson to come to this campus. I said, ‘Of course they can come, they will come and we will welcome them.’ Two years ago, we had two commentators on the Affordable Care Act come, with much back lash. Don’t confuse a statement on the values of higher education as shutting out debate.”

New delegates who were also sworn in by Judicial Chair Rod McCants ’17 at the start of the meeting, replacing delegates who are abroad or who resigned from their positions. Chair of Facility Affairs committee Matt Nocella ’18 spoke with energy officials about potential solar panels, mentioned progress being made with the Dupre courtyard and is working towards more condiment variety in Burwell. Wofford Activities Counsel Chair Megan Kuhn ’18 mentioned dates for the Black and Gold Ball, Feb. 24, and Spring Weekend, April 21-22. Wofford Live had a committee meeting as there have been a number of failed contracts for Spring Concert, which will take place on May 6 in Phase Three of the Senior Village. Wofford Athletics and Recreation committee, chaired by Patrick Longest ’17, met the week previous to discuss the ultimate goal of improving the home section of all sporting events.

New business included two proposals, both of which have a reading week. These include the Proposal to Create the Campus Safety Committee by Fredy Madrid ’20, sponsored by Curneshia Williams, and the Proposal to Create the Campus Union Eno Garden by Bali Chana ’20, sponsored by Zainab Bhagat.

$0
$500