Greek Spotlight on Breast Cancer Awareness

By: James Barkley, Contributing Writer

Zeta Tau Alpha’s national philanthropy is breast cancer awareness and education. Wofford’s chapter holds an annual Shag-a-thon to help spread awareness by allowing breast cancer survivors to come speak about their own experiences. This year, member Rachel Thorton took the initiative to reach out to the mother of Davis Ulmer ’20, a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at Wofford.

Ulmer’s mother, Lisa Ulmer, is undergoing treatment for breast cancer. She was invited to come speak at this year’s event, but could not attend because her final round of chemotherapy was around the same time. Still wanting to recognize this triumph, Thorton coordinated with Josh Allen, another member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, to do something special for Mrs. Ulmer.

“We decided that flowers were the most appropriate and fitting,” says Thorton. Both sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha and brothers of Sigma Alpha Epsilon were more than willing to give money to support Mrs. Ulmer. Enough money was collected between the two organizations to surprise her with a large bouquet of flowers. She was touched by the gesture and reached out to both organizations to express her appreciation.

Beating cancer is no easy task, and the message Mrs. Ulmer received was that Zeta, SAE and the rest of the Wofford community were supporting her and thinking of her during that time. May she have a speedy and full recovery!

$0
$500