Wofford 101

Wofford+101

By: Sheridan Kate Murray, Co-Editor in Chief

On Wednesday, August 30th, 2017, Wofford’s incoming class of first year students arrived on campus and moved into their dorms. This process signified the initial phase of orientation for the freshman students, who spent the remainder of the week visiting Camp Greystone, participating in field day, and taking their class photo on the seal of Old Main.
When asked for tips to give the first-year students as they begin to get acclimated to life on Wofford’s campus, several Terriers offered up advice that helped them make their own transitions.
“Take time away from your studies. Your grades at Wofford are just as important as the memories made. Enjoy these four years because they go by fast!” – Aaliyah Jones ‘19
“Save your Terrier Bucks for later in the semester when you’ll need to stock up on coffee and candy!” – Jess Borucki ‘18
“Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Making new friends in college can be overwhelming and scary but everyone else is going through the same thing, so be the first to say hello!” – Kara Porter ‘20
“Always get to Mrs. Cathy’s five minutes early, especially if you have an afternoon class.” – Sara Beth Napper ‘20
Come to the writing center during the 1-4 time slot because it’s much less busy and you will probably get to spend more time with the tutor! For longer papers, it is possible to set up a private tutoring session so they can go through the whole paper with you.” – Jacey Sohm ‘19
“Email or visit professors. They care and want to help. Especially Dr. Wilson; she loves seeing students and getting to know them!” -Vera Oberg ‘20
“Minor in something that you love, even if it won’t benefit your intended career. Study in the common areas of your major’s suite. Many opportunities will arise for you just because you’re present and listening.” – Meg Berlin ‘18
“Do not be afraid to branch out. You have the opportunity to become a whole different person because most people at college have never met you before.” – Jonathan Tokay ‘19
“Do not be afraid to make yourself vulnerable. Speaking out in class can be scary at first, but one of the best things about Wofford is that we have many different viewpoints. Once I was brave enough to share, class discussions in freshman humanities became some of my favorite academic memories of that year. Also, many of my best friendships started when I allowed myself to be vulnerable. Never be afraid to ask a classmate to have lunch of dinner with you. Everyone gets lonely at some point freshman year, and that’s ok. Instead of being lonely, be the one to reach out.” – Katie Parris ‘19
“Get to know the dining staff. It’s always good to put a name to the person that feeds you every day.” – Phyllicia Colvin-Panton ‘18
“Go to events that you want to attend, even if your friends don’t want to go. That’s how you make new friends!” – Helen Monroe ‘18
“Befriend Mr. Jones in the library. He is always extremely helpful! Don’t be afraid to go to events and clubs by yourself. This is the time when you can discover your passions!” – Eliza Taylor ‘19
“It’s okay if you feel like your adjustment to college looks different than everyone else’s. Everyone is different and you’ll get adjusted when the time is right for you!” – Samantha Hubbard ‘19

$0
$500