The Future of BenJo:

By: Omar K. Elmore, senior writer

For 35 years, the Benjamin Johnson Arena housed Wofford’s basketball and volleyball teams. With the opening of the new Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, this arena will become the new fitness center for the Wofford community.

“We are just completing demolition in BenJo. We should reopen right at the beginning of Interim,” says Jason Burr, Associate Vice President of Facilities and Capital Projects. “This will be a huge addition to Wofford’s campus.”

Over the course of the fall semester, the stands in Benjamin Johnson Arena have been removed to make room for new fitness equipment and recreation areas. The facility will be repainted and reorganized to be the new workout center.

“We will have several multi-use playing surfaces including courts for basketball, tennis and volleyball,” says Burr. “We will have a walking track around the court areas.”

“The concourses will include all state-of-the-art equipment,” says Burr. “We will reuse the improved weight equipment from the Richardson Fitness Center.”

According to Burr, the East concourse of BenJo, closer to the soccer field, will house the weight equipment, including free weights, benches and machines. The West concourse will be filled with different cardio equipment, including treadmills, stationary bikes and elliptical machines. Desks will be on either side for student and staff workers.

The renovations in BenJo follow the Zach’s overhaul that has shut down the dining area for the semester. Once Richardson Fitness Center is cleared out, it will undergo its own rehaul.

“Richardson will go through a complete renovation with completely new interior finishes,’ says Burr. “We also have to do some extensive HVAC work in the building before turning it into an office and meeting space. It will become the premiere place for many of our sports programs.”

BenJo replaced Andrews Field House as Wofford’s main athletic facility in 1981. With the opening of the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium, the renovations in Campus Life represent a concerted effort by the school to make the building a hub for student life.

“I think this will be a great thing for Wofford students and faculty,” says Burr. “This is a big step forward and one I know the students will appreciate once the job is complete. When the fitness center and Zach’s are both functional again, I think students will be pleasantly surprised by the impact of these projects.”

$0
$500