Campus Union remembers

By: Chandler Compton, contributing writer

Campus Union assembly members convened on Monday, Feb. 5 for their first meeting of the spring 2018 semester, which saw three resolutions honoring remarkable members of the Wofford community all pass unanimously.

Entering the final semester of his administration, Campus Union President Drake McCormick ‘18 opened the meeting with remarks emphasizing his intention to continue the assembly’s focus on community. It is necessary, he suggests, that Campus Union “honor all the good that is done by all, help solve the problems for our people when they arise, and stand by those when struggles come about.”

McCormick echoed his belief that a collaborative spirit and willingness to engage each other will make positive dividends for the Wofford community inevitable. As the assembly moves forward, he encourages its members to continue building upon Wofford’s strengths while addressing its weaknesses.

The first resolution was proposed by John Patterson ‘18 and Braeden Tuttle ‘20 with sponsorship from the Wofford College football team and sought to honor Mr. Tarek Odom, a former Terrier football player who passed away unexpectedly early this past January. Under the resolution, Odom will be remembered not only for his considerable contributions on the football field, but also for his positive impact on countless members of the Wofford community.

Former teammate Terrence Morris remembers how Odom “pushed others to be better on and off the field” and former Wofford defensive line coach Jerome Raise, who worked closely with Odom, remembers him as young man with a “playful spirit” and “a genuineness you couldn’t help but root for.”

The second resolution honors former coach Michael Ayers, who retired from his position as the football team’s head coach after three decades of service to the college. Having coached the Terriers at the NAIA, Division II, and Division 1 levels, Ayers’ tenure crossed generations. A Georgetown, Ky., native, Ayers had a hall of fame career at Georgetown College (Kentucky), where he holds a Bachelor of Arts and Masters degree. A four-time Southern Conference Coach of the Year, Ayers leaves the Wofford program with a list of accomplishments unprecedented by any previous Wofford football coach. Campus Union’s resolution maintains that Ayers “was born to make the world a better place” for student-athletes.

The assembly’s third and final resolution, proposed by Bailey Wise ‘18 and sponsored by all of Campus Union, honors Mr. Paul Jones, who served the Wofford community for the past 22 years in the Sandor Teszler library. The resolution states that Jones selflessly went “above and beyond to help Wofford students, faculty and staff as well a members of the Spartanburg community.” Jones was noted for accurately depicting the spirit of Wofford College through his “welcoming demeanor, servant heart and hard work.”

Campus Union’s meeting on Feb. 12 saw three separate proposals each delayed for a reading period. The decision grants assembly members necessary time to review the proposals, raise new questions or adapt the proposal for approval. They will be taken to a vote in a future meeting.

$0
$500