Alcohol violations handed out based on security footage

By: Emily Washburn, senior writer

Friday, Feb. 23, was just another fun day at the Greek Village on campus for many Wofford students. However, on Tuesday, Feb. 27 a few students received text messages from Campus Safety officers stating that they needed to talk. These students then received alcohol violations for their actions Friday night.

Although this might seem fairly routine, for many students it was not. These students that received alcohol violations were given them not because they were caught in person violating the rules, but because they were caught on the cameras located outside fraternity houses. There were around six to eight AVs handed out to students caught on camera by Campus Safety officers.

Fraternity presidents, fraternity members and IFC representatives are upset with the way things have been handled by the Wofford staff.

“We were assured on countless occasions explicitly that the cameras were not going to be used to give AVs. They said the cameras were to ensure safety for the houses and to protect property in them and simply to be used as a security measure,” said president of Pi Kappa Alpha, Pearson Lewallen.

In the past, security cameras outside of the fraternity houses at the Greek Village have been used for security purposes. Yet this time they were used differently—to catch students violating rules. Issues with using the security cameras to hand out alcohol violations include lack of privacy, the fear that only those students who Campus Safety officers recognize are at risk for these types of AVs and the possibility that surveillance could cause students to seek alternative places off-campus for events.

The overarching issue the fraternity representatives have is the lack of communication from Wofford staff along with the obvious lack of privacy.

“The lack of communication and clarity on the use of the cameras for any other purpose than security was not okay. We have every right to be fully informed because they are houses we lease and pay for,” stated Andrew Brehmer, IFC Vice President of Recruitment and Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity member.

On March 6, a letter was emailed to President Samhat on behalf of IFC and the Chapter Fraternity Presidents. This letter can be found further on in this issue. Administration facilitated a meeting with members of IFC and Campus Safety officers Dwayne Harris and Col. Hall on Tuesday, March 20 to discuss the event.

Omar Elmore, president of IFC, said, “We went into the meeting wanting clarification on what cameras would be used for at the Greek Village. In the meeting we came to a resolution and received the clarification needed. Moving forward, I think the conversation we had will help to mend the relationship between Greek Life, Campus Safety and the Wofford administration, as well as fostering more communication.”

Hall also provided a statement, saying, “We use the cameras not to survey for alcohol violations but for safety and criminal activity, that’s always been the case and will still be the case. Everyone’s expectations were outlined at this meeting and we have a far better understanding of each other’s viewpoints.”

President Samhat agrees with both Hall and Elmore. He said, “The most important issues are safety, security and the well-being of students, not only in the Greek Village, but across the entire student body and campus. This conversation today was important because it advances communication and understanding. It is a new beginning and an ongoing process of the collective concern to ensure the well-being and safety of our students. I think that the IFC council members have demonstrated thoughtful leadership and the kind of leadership we expect to see from our Greek organizations, helping to make our campus a more secure environment for learning, socializing and experiencing college life.”

$0
$500