Kredit Where it’s Due

Introducing Kalvin Guyer, Creator of “Kredit with Kal”

The focus of many Wofford students at the moment seems to be their workload. Students are constantly juggling regular classwork, extracurriculars and even athletics. With so much happening on campus right now, paying attention to valuable information that seems to deal so heavily with life after college, such as personal finance and credit, may be difficult.

However, for one student, Kalvin Guyer ‘20, bringing information regarding credit and personal finance to Wofford is not only a priority, but is his own way of giving back to the college as well. Guyer is a native of Long Island, N.Y., is an RA in Wightman Hall and is also involved with on-campus organizations like Active Minds. He is a government and economics double-major with minors in business, international affairs and music performance, studying to become a lawyer.

“This past summer,” says Guyer, “I spent a lot of time working at a law firm… I thought, ‘what’s something that I’m really interested in that I want to study?’ and sure enough, credit is the thing that comes to mind.”

Guyer’s interest in personal finance and credit comes from his desire to see people happy and saving money, two things that he has become very good at doing himself. On Tuesday, September 18, Guyer held his very own talk entitled “Kredit with Kal.” During the talk, Guyer walked his attendees through common vocabulary concerning credit, explaining the concept of credit scores and touching on the topic of credit cards and getting cash back.

“It’s something that so many college students don’t know about, and it’s something that college students can benefit from,” Guyer says. “We had a very solid crowd, about 25 to 30 people came in and out during the talk… I’m going to do another one of these in November [concerning the] same topic [with the] same PowerPoint. People that were there [the first time] can come if they want a refresher, but it’s really for people that weren’t able to come that really want that understanding.”

Guyer says his inspiration for having this program is to give back to Wofford in his own way. A strong believer in the power of alumni and the connections developed in college, he says that, even though he wants to become a lawyer in the future, he would “absolutely love to have some Wofford grads work under [him] or intern under [him].”

“I really enjoy Wofford,” Guyer says, “and so I feel like I have an obligation to give back to it…A session like this helps not just students at Wofford, but when they leave here, they can take something with them that’s very tangible. This is something that can really affect your everyday life.”

As of right now, the date for the November session is to be announced, but all interested students are encouraged to keep an eye out for the Daily Announcements as the time comes. Students can also contact Kalvin Guyer at [email protected].

Photo Caption: Wofford Student Kalvin “Kal” Guyer, Class of 2020

$0
$500