‘Big Picture Mode’

DCIM100MEDIADJI_0245.JPG
DCIM100MEDIADJI_0245.JPG

Campus union has big things in store for 2018/2019 school year

Over the past couple of weeks, the Campus Union Assembly has been in ‘big picture mode.’ The Assembly broke out into caucus groups during the Oct. 8 meetings. Each class brainstormed ideas as to what could be improved around campus. The senior class delegates vehemently supported an initiative to improve the conditions of the Gravel Lot behind the Senior Village. The Physical Plant began this process over fall break by adding more distinct parking markers in the lot to reduce confusion, though there is still more to be done. The senior class also emphasized that it’s time for all the talk surrounding sustainability to move past conversation and into action. The senior class plans to work with Carter Atchison ’20 who serves as the Facility Affairs Committee chair to accomplish such actions. 

The junior class took a more class-oriented approach: they discussed how to add in extra parking wherever possible, as well as thought forward regarding their hopes to set up a class-wide event during Spring Weekend to forge class unity.  

The sophomore delegates discussed revitalization efforts for the Dupre courtyard, especially given recent damage accrued by the fallen tree in the wake of Hurricane Florence a few weeks ago. The class also mentioned an event for the 2021 graduates of the College: the most popular event voiced to the Assembly was a “$5 Prom” for the sophomore class. Another facilities initiative brought to attention was lighting around the sidewalk next to Dupre.  

The first-year delegates ended the caucus session on a strong note. The addition of a ping pong table for a residence hall was mentioned, as well as a continuation in the theme of class-specific events. Sliding and shagging was a big hit with the Class of 2022, so don’t be surprised if you see the first-year students dancing the night away together again sometime soon. The class brought up a critically important topic that can sometimes be overlooked by college students: voting! The first-year students reminded us of the importance of registering to vote, as well as finding out the best means to vote whether that be absentee ballot or finding your nearest polling station. 

These caucusing sessions allow delegates the chance to re-center their focus on what can and will be done around the College, and the Assembly is looking forward to taking these ideas and turning them into tangible results around this campus. 

If you are free at 6 p.m. on a Monday evening, feel free to come in and join the Assembly (In Olin 101) for one of our meetings. You do not have to be elected to contribute ideas, proposals or even debate on topics brought to the body. All are welcome, and all are encouraged to attend! We look forward to continue serving you all this school year. 

Written by Carter Rief

$0
$500