Savage-Ballance

Savage-Ballance

Members of Wofford staff collaborate for art showcase

On Thursday, Oct. 18 at 7:00pm, the Richardson Family Art Gallery hosted the gallery talk for the latest exhibition, entitled Savage-Ballance. A special exhibition, this show features the work of two Wofford faculty members. Dr. Kaye Savage from the Environmental Studies department and Colleen Ballance from the Theatre department delivered the gallery talk wherein they discussed their individual works from the exhibition as well as the overlap between the two collections.  

Savage’s “Art and Earth: Landscapes” and Ballance’s “Only the M Places” are collections both featured within the gallery exhibition, seen both as separate bodies of work but also as interacting, intersecting bodies.  

Savage’s work in Savage-Ballance focused more on the chemical, physical and biological relationships across differing scales of both time and space. This included the components of Earth’s surface, presented in both physically place-based and data-based methods of expression. Savage’s pieces include natural elements from the places she has visited, including soil from sites. They also apply data from these locations, ultimately resulting in a multidimensional approach to artmaking.  

Ballance’s contributions to the exhibition drew from her time traveling in Morocco and Southern Spain, as well as her interpretations of decorative elements she saw during her exploration. This was a marked change for the creator, as she is used to work based on theatrical text.  

Ultimately, the exhibition represented an interdisciplinary, collaborative effort on behalf of two artistically-inclined faculty members to present pieces that could stand alone but also provide an intriguing view when seen in junction with the rest of the work present.

Caption: Savage-Ballance ran until Oct. 27 in the Richardson Family Art Gallery.  

$0
$500