Homecoming Week in all of its Glory

The week of Oct. 15-Oct. 21 is personally my favorite week of the semester. It is Homecoming: the magical time of year a dozen or so men from around campus get up on stage and do and say ridiculous and hilarious things on stage in front of faculty, staff, and students alike. It is also the week a carnival is held on the horseshoe, and alumni come back to campus, some of whom are seeing the new row for the first time. Now that it has finally wrapped up, the craziest week of the semester surely needs a recap, as so much happened in so little time. 

Monday started the week off nice and slow with trivia night, while Tuesday quickly followed with the bombshell that is Mr. Wofford. The event needs no introduction, as all the contestants, from the cleanest and most wholesome acts such as Kalvin Guyer ‘20 and Will Randall ‘19 to the more… seditious competitors such as Chase Storch ‘20 and Blake Kirsch ‘21, put on a show that is impossible to forget. Will Randall won runner-up and Carter Rief ‘19 took home Mr. Congeniality, but Max Lefevbre ’21 arose as Mr. Wofford. “The honor is very humbling,” Lefevbre said, “because I know there was a lot of people who put a lot of effort into this, and it makes me feel a sense of pride… I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to meet a lot of people who I would have never met before.” 

Wednesday night brought us Founder’s Day in Burwell, and Thursday night brought us the carnival, which included all its usual rides and goodies this year. There was also dinner and music in the Galleria at Phase V on Friday. The week capped off with a 30-17 win over the East Tennessee State University Buccaneers. Lennox McAfee ’19 rushed for 126 yards and 2 touchdowns, and Andre Stoddard ’19 added another 54 yards and the other 2 touchdowns. During half time, Mr. Wofford Max Lefevbre ’20 crowned Abbey Brasington ’19 Homecoming Queen. 

Homecoming is also the magical time of year when the alumni come back to campus. For some of them, it is a yearly tradition to come see their old friends from their graduating year, as well as their friends from before and after them, whereas others may have not been back for a decade. Whichever is the case, these alumni come back and relive their college days at the row for the Friday and Saturday. Lefevbre probably phrased the spirit of Homecoming Week best when he said “Homecoming is a really wonderful event that not only allows current Wofford students to interact with their peers who came before them, but also to reunite with old friends and get to know those who came two years, five years, twenty years before them.”  

With Homecoming out of the way, and Parent’s Weekend over, the semester hits that magical three weeks where the weather gets colder, the leaves change and we hunker down to fix or build on our midterm grades. We’ll look back on this part of the semester and smile because Thanksgiving is just around the corner. 

Caption: Mr. Wofford Max Lefevbre ’21 and last year’s Homecoming Queen Bailey Wise ’18 prior to crowning this year’s winner. (Image via SmugMug) 

$0
$500