What is “For Wofford?”

Campaign promises an increased focus on students and academics

Change is coming to Wofford. On Oct. 19, the “For Wofford” campaign was announced. The campaign promises more student opportunity, experiences, increased excellence in academics and overall improvement on Wofford’s campus. The campaign has had already been successful in its three year “quiet period.” 

“We’ve all been on the same page. We’ve been blessed really. There’s a lot of momentum, obviously, here at Wofford and we’ve had unbelievable support,” Danny Morrison, ‘75 and chair of the campaign steering committee, said. “…so to be at the 262 million committed today is a great testament to the belief that people have in the future of Wofford College.”  

The campaign wants to make Wofford more relevant while staying true to its values. “Rigorous academics and strong student faculty relationships, that’s what Wofford has always been about — Developing the skills, habits and arts that go with the liberal arts education and helping students think about their futures beyond Wofford,” David Wood, senior vice president for advancement, said. “On the relevant side for just one example we already have a robust study abroad program. So, to make sure it stays strong perhaps continues to grow in an interconnected, interdisciplinary global environment.” 

The campaign plans to bring about changes to Wofford’s campus and increased scholarship opportunities.  

“We’re going to hope to be renovating the library in the months and years ahead and we have plans for a new replacement for the Black Science Annex,” Wood said. “We hope all students will see continued support for scholarships and funding for their needs here. A big emphasis of this campaign is for endowed scholarships for students continuing to sustain our distinctive academic programs from study abroad, to interim, to lots of other things.” 

While Wofford may be changing and improving, this campaign does not aim for increased enrolment.  

Wood stated, “We’re not targeting growth. If we do it’s very modest, because the size we have now is in many ways close to ideal for a residential liberal arts campus.” He continued, “We will continue to always look to enhance the quality of everything we do here for students and enhance the quality of the academic experience” 

To sum up the campaign, Morrison said, “The campaign is all about Wofford students at the end of the day. Everything that we’re raising money for is to support the student experience here at Wofford.”

Written by Robert Brook

$0
$500