Fighting for Farley

Terriers band together to support beloved faculty member

October at Wofford is a month of pink. The campus is decked out with a pink fountain, pink entrance sign and pink ribbons put out by the ZTA sorority everywhere. However, this year Breast Cancer Awareness Month hits closer to home as this past summer, a Terrier of Wofford’s own was diagnosed. Accounting professor, and Wofford alumna, Diane Farley ‘05 returned to campus six years ago to teach at her alma mater. After being diagnosed with breast cancer in mid-July, she decided to continue teaching while also undergoing treatment.  

Junior accounting student, Leah Wilson ‘20, decided to conduct a surprise fundraiser for Professor Farley by selling t-shirts to help offset the costs of her chemotherapy. Leah, and accounting department secretary, Mrs. Mann, collaborated and produced a simple t-shirt design: a white tee with a pink breast cancer ribbon over the heart. On the back, the breast cancer insignia was repeated and overlaid with the phrase “Fighting for Farley.” Leah says, “I wanted Professor Farley to know that the accounting department and her students were here to support her.” By selling just short of 100 t-shirts, she did just that.  

The students and faculty were told to wear their “Fighting for Farley” shirts on Oct. 23 to surprise Professor Farley. On Tuesday morning, when Professor Farley entered her first class of the day, her students stood up and turned their backs to her, displaying the bright pink ribbons and the thoughtful phrase. In shock and with tears in her eyes, Professor Farley was then presented with the money that had been raised for her, and a t-shirt, along with one for her husband and 3-year-old son.  

Later in the day, another class had on the same shirts showing the same support to Professor Farley, along with the Accounting Department and other staff throughout Olin. Upon seeing the shirts, initially and then repeatedly throughout the day, Professor Farley says, “I was overwhelmed by how supportive this community is. I can’t imagine being anywhere else but Wofford. We have special people here.”  

The small bark and big bite of the Wofford Terriers have been displayed once again through both Professor Farley and those who participated in the fundraiser. When asked if she had anything that she wanted to say to her students, Farley replied, “Thank you. The words are probably inadequate, but thank you.”  

Professor Farley, on behalf of all of the students at Wofford College, thank you for putting up the fight and exemplifying courage to us. We are “Fighting for Farley.”

Written by Jacob Hollifield

$0
$500