Curtain Call

Curtain+Call

A Glimpse at Wofford Theatre and two conversations

As sports continue to roll all over Wofford’s campus, the curtain also has officially opened for another year of Wofford Theatre. Kicked off by the November production The Danube, written by the late Maria Irene Fornés, Wofford’s theatre program now looks ahead to their next three productions—Savage in Limbo directed by Khalil Gamble ’20, The Last Firefly directed by former Wofford professor Sullivan White and The Dutchman directed by Wofford Alum Connor Vetter.  

The Danube premiered in the Jerome Johnson Richardson theatre on Nov. 8 and ran through Nov. 10, and then again from Nov. 14 to Nov. 17. During Interim, Savage in Limbo is set to premiere on Jan. 24 and have nightly showings until Jan. 26. 

Sophomore Theatre major Audrey Vail described The Danube as “a fascinating, eerie, intense, absurd play that [leaves] the audience feeling, hopefully, very affected.” English and theatre major Mary Thalassinos ‘20 described it as “a play with many layers about humanity and the world we’ve built as a society… It is about desire and the effects it can have on not only yourself, but the things affected by it.”  

Vail said of the production, “There’s smoke, there are puppets, goggles. It’s a wild story but all of the crazy devices are required to get [Fornés’s] point across.”  

Concerning the other productions coming up this year, however, Vail expressed an optimistic desire to have as many students, major and nonmajors, come out to auditions and get involved in the productions as the year progresses. Thalassinos is excited about the “beauty of this art and the beauty of each show.” 

Behind the products that we all see on stage, though, what is it that attracts students to theatre and acting in productions? Vail says that when she got to Wofford, “something said to me that this is exactly where I needed to be, and this theatre department was going to be what helped me see that there is nothing else I want to do.” 

Having grown up loving theatre but doubting its ability to provide financial stability in the long run, Vail admits she was on the fence about whether or not to focus her time at Wofford on it in particular. However, since declaring, Vail says that her favorite thing about theatre is that it is “all-encompassing and used to spread messages and raise questions in the audience. Acting specifically is a way of getting down to the center of who you are and baring your most vulnerable self at all times.” 

Thalassinos had a similar experience, as she came into Wofford expecting to be involved with theatre, but not majoring. However, she says that she “should have known I’d end up being [a theatre major].” She cites theatre as the only true passion that she has ever had, and she is made happiest by it.  

Thalassinos: “I enjoy the struggle and the satisfaction of discovering something new about character or writing or designing. …  Being an artist in the theatre has made me stronger; it has made me accept vulnerability and has taught me that it’s okay to fail.”  

All students interested in participating in future theatre productions should keep an eye out for announcements regarding Savage in Limbo auditions as January approaches. All students, majors and nonmajors, are welcome and encouraged to audition. 

$0
$500