From the Heart

Wofford community shows support for Joslynn Keenon after fire destroys home  

Tragedy has recently impacted Wofford employee Joslynn Keenon, known for her consistent presence in the Zach’s dining hall. A Spartanburg resident all her life, Keenan lived in a house her grandmother gave her seven years ago with her twelve-year-old son, Jamari Campbell Foster. This changed on Jan. 27, 2019, when an electrical malfunction caused a fire that ultimately burnt her house down.  

“The fire was bad,” Keenon said. “It burnt down everything I had.” 

Word of Keenan’s situation circulated around Wofford’s small campus quickly.  Sophomore Taylor Lawson noticed many people were asking what they could do to help, and she wanted to give them an outlet to do so. The website GoFundMe gives people a chance to raise money for causes they find important. For Lawson, a family member had experienced similar hardships, so she felt compelled to open a GoFundMe account for Keenon. She was surprised by how quickly people responded.  

“I wanted to help as much as I could [because] if you can help someone, you might as well do it,” Lawson said. “So I ended up creating a GoFundMe, [and] set a goal for a thousand dollars. As soon as I shared the link, within like thirty minutes we almost hit that goal, so I kept increasing it until I felt like it was a good amount because we kept getting so many donations.”  

As of Feb. 8, $2,770 has been raised via the online fundraiser. The money will go toward buying new clothes and other necessities for Keenon and her son.  

Sophomore Andrew Rizzo-Banks was one of many Wofford students who contributed to the GoFundMe. “Deciding to pitch in what I could for the GoFundMe was the easiest decision I’ve ever made,” he said. “Ms. Joslynn is the type of person who does her part to make sure her customers and coworkers are happy, and I am sure this extends to her friends and family. I’m happy to help out in any way I can.” 

When asked about wider campus support for Keenon, junior and Campus Union President Fredy Madrid said there is a “three-front support system” consisting of students, Campus Union efforts and the Spartanburg community to raise further funds. With freshman Marley McCormick coordinating these efforts, Madrid has contacted Wofford alumni, who have agreed to match the funds from the GoFundMe. So if students raise $3,000, another $3,000 would be given to Keenon.  

“Overall, I think with [these combined efforts] we can raise at least $20,000,” Madrid said, adding that, “I think this is an opportunity for the community to come together and help out.”   

Keenon has been overwhelmed by the amount of support she has received.  

“I appreciate everything [the Wofford community] has done for me,” she said. “This came from y’all’s heart and it showed me that y’all really care. It makes me happy to know I’m loved by people outside of my family.”  

By Hannah Rollins

$0
$500