2019 Spring Recruitment Weekend

Greek organizations on campus recruit new members 

Recruitment weekend for Greek organizations at Wofford is a three-day process for men and women respectively, ending with “Bid Day” for the women on the subsequent Sunday. Despite having only switched from fall to spring recruitment in 2016, and the dreary weather that moved sorority “Bid Day” indoors, students of Wofford Greek Life seem to consider the 2019 recruitment weekend an overall success.  

Panhellenic organizations had a record number of women sign up for recruitment as well as a record number of women accept their bids. In total, 158 bids were extended and 155 were accepted. Statistically speaking, after this recruitment, 56% of the women on Wofford’s campus now identify with Greek organizations. 

“It’s exciting to think about women seeing the positive impact that Greek life can have on their collegiate experiences,” said Samantha “Spanky” Hubbard ‘19, Panhellenic Vice President of Recruitment and Retention.  

Clarke Allen ‘19, Eli Stilwell ‘19, Mattie Weldon ’19 and Day Harmening ‘19, of Kappa Delta run to welcome their new members. 

“Although recruitment was a little stressful, it was so worth it. The most exciting part was watching all my friends run to their new homes on Bid Day. Everyone who ran out was showered with love, excitement, and of course, glitter! I can’t wait to see where this journey will take everyone, including myself, as a part of a Greek organization,” said Julia Markley ‘22, new member of Kappa Alpha Theta.  

Seniors, Mary Katherine Linn ‘19, Ciara Albrittain and Eliza Taylor ’19 of Kappa Alpha Theta.

The Interfraternity Council (IFC) also had a successful recruitment weekend. President of IFC, Jack Sullivan ‘20, noted that IFC’s Executive Council worked proactively to organize and communicate information surrounding the weekend to chapters and potential new members. This paid off with a weekend that ushered in 96 new members into Wofford’s six IFC fraternities. 

“My favorite part of the weekend was undoubtedly seeing the excitement of the new members as they accepted their bids. For many, especially with deferred spring recruitment, this is a new chapter which they have been waiting to open for some time,” said Sullivan.  

Greek organizations work to provide a sense of sisterhood and brotherhood among their members that extends beyond recruitment weekend.  

“Personally, I joined Greek life for the camaraderie and sense of accountability which your fraternity brothers bring. Such has made me a better friend, communicator and pushed me to more seriously consider the values I hold dear,” said Sullivan.   

Greek organizations have members who are involved in various leadership positions across campus organizations, are dedicated to academic success and who are involved in raising money and awareness for their respective philanthropies. 

Allison Andrew’s ’22 leads the sisters of Tri Delta to greet a new sister.

“I joined Greek life to broaden my horizons while at Wofford. I didn’t intend on going Greek, but it no doubt has been one of, if not the best, choices I’ve made since being in college. I’ve been provided so many opportunities to explore my strengths, figure out things I like and don’t like, as well as be able to serve in leadership positions that I never would have thought possible. The benefits of going Greek are innumerable, and I encourage every woman to figure out what she wants out of her Greek experience, and then go pursue it,” said Hubbard.  

Bali Channa ’20, and Ava Belew ’19, lead the pack of Zeta Tau Alpha’s in gretting their new members.

$0
$500