Terriers Move Towards Tobacco Free

Results from the TFGCI program evaluation administered spring 2019

College adopts new tobacco policy, sets in motion tobacco free campus  

In the spring of 2019, Wofford distributed a survey to gauge student’s use of tobacco products as part of the Tobacco-Free Generation Campus Initiative (TFGCI). In addition to responding about their personal background, students were also prompted to respond about their smoking habits, attitudes towards smoking and tobacco use and their attempts to quit. Of Wofford’s population as of spring 2019, 35% of enrolled students responded.   

The survey found that the majority of tobacco use, the overarching term for all actions which involve the inhalation of smoke or use of chewing tobacco, was practiced through the use of E-cigarettes; 39% of the respondents claimed to have used E-cigarettes in the 30 days before completing the survey.   

After attending a conference in the summer of 2018, Lisa Lefebvre, Wofford’s Director of Employee Wellness and Medical Services, applied for a grant as a part of the American Cancer Association’s TFGCI. With help from Dean Bigger and President Samhat, Lefevbre was able to pull together a committee, made up of faculty, staff and students, to examine the current tobacco/smoking policy.   

Lefevbre said, “The health risks of smoking and other tobacco/smoking products are high, and the impact of these products’ use on others is a risk as well. With many colleges and universities as well as public places, such as public buildings, restaurants and bars, restricting or banning the use of tobacco/smoking products, many at Wofford felt it was time to consider how we handle their use on our campus.”  

Of the state’s 61 colleges and universities, 33 have opted to become tobacco/smoking free, including Converse, Sherman, USC Upstate and Spartanburg Methodist College, all located in the city of Spartanburg.   

The policy, which initially will restrict smoking to certain areas, will be enforced beginning Jan. 1, 2020 and the decision has been made that the Wofford College campus will be completely tobacco/smoking-free effective Sept. 2, 2020.  

One student said, “I think if they want to discourage students from vaping and things like that there are better ways to do it. I definitely don’t love walking behind someone smoking a cigarette, but I think there’s a better way for Wofford to discourage it if that’s [a tobacco/smoking-free campus] what they want. It doesn’t surprise me that Wofford is jumping on the bandwagon too.”   

Another student said, “I think it promotes a healthier environment for all–those who smoke and those who don’t.”  

In order to transition from its current stance on smoking, Wofford has allowed one year for the campus to adjust to the new policy. The Wellness Center will also be offering classes centered on smoking cessation, as well as other resources for the Wofford community. The Wellness Center plans to offer these classes beginning Jan. 2020 as well as this upcoming spring.   

$0
$500