R-E-C-Y-C-L-E: Does Wofford Recycle?

Illustrated by Jonathan Hall

Recycling is not a new practice on Wofford’s campus. However, with the current news of global warming, the school has been working on improving its method of recycling. Dr. Amy Telligman, assistant professor of environmental studies, said of Wofford’s attention to recycling, “we received [a grant] from South Carolina DHEC to improve waste management on campus.”  

Dr. Telligman, Eleanor Crawford, ‘20 and Rick Shehan, office manager of facilities, have been working together to improve recycling practices at Wofford College.  

The method of recycling used by Wofford requires students to take the time to separate their trash from what is recyclable. There are two ways to separate the two: one is putting trash in a black bag and recyclables in a clear plastic bag, while the other is disposing of trash and recycling in their designated respective bins.  

Once trash and recycling is taken to the physical plant, Mitchel Humphries, Administrative Housekeeping Supervisor, explained that “when they bring it back to the [physical plant], they have to bust the bags open and pour out its contents because we can’t have any plastic bags going to the landfill.” He also emphasized that students are welcome to go to the physical plant to throw away their recyclables.  

According to Humphries, this new method of recycling has allowed the physical plant to track how much Wofford recycles. Before this program, he explained, Wofford was still recycling, but it was not as efficient. Now, the school works with Republic Services, which picks up the school’s waste and recyclables approximately twice a week.  

All students, including commuters, are welcome to stop by the physical plant and throw away their recyclables. The alternative is off campus at a recycling collection center on 100 Alba Ct, right behind Krispy Kreme.  

The following list of recyclables are accepted (list provided by the physical plant): plastics #1 and #2, paper, aluminum cans, metal cans, cardboard, clean pizza boxes and aseptic packaging. 

On the contrary, the following items are not accepted as recyclables (list provided by the physical plant): glass, plastics #3, 4, 5, 6, 7, aerosol cans, aluminum foil, food waste, food-tainted items, ceramics and kitchenware, plastic wrap, packaging peanuts and bubble wrap, wax boxes, styrofoam, hazardous chemicals and containers, plastic toys or sporting goods, wood and yard clippings.  

$0
$500