Wofford Football Recovers from Early-Season Stumble

Caption%3A+Wofford+linebacker+Jireh+Wilson+%28%2341%29+sacks+Gardner-Webb+quarterback+Jordan+Smith+%28%239%29.+
Caption: Wofford linebacker Jireh Wilson (#41) sacks Gardner-Webb quarterback Jordan Smith (#9).

Terriers ride game winning streak into showdown with powerhouse Clemson

“I am not going to push the panic button after one game.” These were Wofford football head coach Josh Conklin’s words following the Terriers’ season-opening 28-13 loss to South Carolina State. Despite the subsequent loss to Samford two weeks later, the Terriers did not let one or two losses create cause to panic, as they have won five straight games going into their matchup with a national powerhouse in Clemson. 100 students will travel to the game on Nov. 2 with tickets specially allotted for Wofford students.   

Two home wins have come by way of blowouts against North Carolina programs, 49-10 over Gardner-Webb and 59-7 over Western Carolina, respectively. Sandwiched in between those games were comfortable double-digit road wins over VMI and ETSU. While these victories over the SoCon cellar dwellers have gotten the Terriers back in the winning spirit, the boost in morale will be needed to get through the beefy tail end of the schedule. Rivalry games with Furman and The Citadel round out the agenda for the year. The latter knocked off ACC program Georgia Tech this year, and is known for beating South Carolina in 2015, as well as taking Alabama to halftime tied last year. 

The Paladins sit atop the conference tied with Wofford, and the rivalry game on Nov. 16 may very well have conference title implications. The most recent win over UT-Chattanooga, however, proved that the Terriers have what it takes to come out on top in a close game that matters. Wofford emerged victorious in overtime after a failed Chattanooga two point attempt with the game on the line. Even with the loss, the Mocs are still within reach of the SoCon title.  

The Paladins and Mocs face off in Chattanooga’s Finley Stadium only a couple hours before the Terriers kick off against the Clemson Tigers. If the Terriers are able to handle their in-state rivals, the title could be theirs; however, even a loss to 7 seed Mercer, who they face Nov. 9 on the road, could open up SoCon chances for Chattanooga, provided they take care of business in the remainder of their schedule.  

The last few weeks of the season is chalk-full of important matchups that will doubtless prove entertaining for SoCon football fans.  

It is news to few that Wofford relies heavily upon the triple option style offense, resulting in a game heavily reliant on the run. Senior quarterback Joe Newman has captained the Terriers through this stretch, leading the team in both passing and rushing. 11 of his 16 touchdowns during the 2019 campaign have come on the ground. He has thrown four interceptions. Additionally, Newman leads the team in rushing attempts, followed by fellow senior Blake Morgan, who has logged 436 rushing yards on 79 attempts. Sophomore Nathan Walker has been solid at the fullback position. Freshman running back Jacquez Allen has shown promise, averaging the highest rushing yards per game of any Terrier save Newman at 63.50 yds/g over the course of 6 games.

$0
$500