The Burden of Tourism

The Neuschwanstein Castle, one of the world’s most visited historical landmarks

Is it possible to see the world while preserving and protecting?

Most people love to use the word wanderlust when describing their insatiable need for travel; funnily enough, the use of wanderlust was first used in 19th century German, meaning a desire to hike. Regardless, while traveling can be extremely exciting and eye-opening, these experiences do not exist without a darker side. As with any other decision to be made, there will always be a trade-off between what you want, and what you must then forego. 

Take a moment to reflect: have you ever dreamed of traveling somewhere new, expecting it to be awe-inspiring and life-changing? But after arrival you feel disappointed, as the real experience is nothing like you had imagined. This feeling has been somewhat representative of my time while traveling throughout Europe. It is truly disappointing to plan a whole trip around one landmark, only to arrive and see the area consumed by tourism and a lack of respect.  

For example, when visiting the Neuschwanstein Castle in the German state of Bayern, I expected to feel as if I had entered a fairytale. But this was not the reality of my experience. While the castle was still beautiful, its appearance was marred by masses upon masses of visitors, liter disrespectfully strewn about, and tacky tourist shops selling cheap memorabilia. I did my best to remain hopeful about the rest of the experience; but after hours of waiting in line to take a fifteen-minute tour inside the castle, I felt totally defeated. Why is this such a popular spot if the real experience is merely lackluster? 

The answer to this question is complicated; if attractions are not popular enough, then they won’t have the ability to remain open. But on the other end of the spectrum, if these locations become too popular, then it becomes difficult to maintain the authenticity of the experience while still being able to make necessary accommodations. It feels as if some sort of a happy medium will be ever elusive.

However, there are some ways to contribute to the preservation of authenticity of a landmark on a smaller and individual scale. Remind yourself to be aware of where you are, and what the cultural expectations are: Should you be taking photographs? Are other visitors silent? What is the proper way to dispose of trash? Always do your best to be aware of the impact your travel has on the places you visit. Treat all landmarks with respect and know that your contribution can help to guarantee that generations to come will have the opportunity to have a positive experience.

$0
$500