New digs for the Farmer’s Market as part of Northside’s Harvest Park

The new Farmer’s Market location is even closer to Wofford.

NEW FACILITY ON HOWARD STREET SET TO OPEN NOV. 6; STILL ACCESSIBLE TO WOFFORD—

Since 2008 the Hub City Farmer’s Market has taken up its residence each week at the Magnolia Street Train Depot and on Morgan Square in downtown Spartanburg to sell organic and local produce. Starting in November, however, the market will have a new feel and a new, more permanent location to call home. The move has been in the planning stages for about three years, says Interim Executive Director Brendan Buttimer.

The new location is at 498 Howard Street, and the market will be a component within the bigger “Harvest Park.”

“Harvest Park will be a ‘Farm to Fork’ facility, with an Urban Farm, Farmer’s Market, café and fresh food retail store,” says Buttimer, who believes the new location will offer increased opportunities for Wofford students to get involved in the Northside community.

“It’s the first time in at least a generation that the Northside will have fresh food within walking distance. Most people in the Northside don’t have reliable transportation, so this outlet will offer convenience and selection that is close to them. For Wofford students who want great fresh, local food, it’ll be a nice change from what we hear they have,” says Buttimer.

Sophomore student Lauren Crawford relies on weekly trips to the Farmer’s Market for fresh fruits and says that both the fruits and sup- porting the community are important to her. For Crawford and other Wofford students who regularly attend the market, Buttimer reassures them that the new location will not impair students’ ability to obtain fresh, local produce. A half block North of VCOM and a straight shot from campus, Buttimer says that the new location is even closer than before.

A Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) specialist for the Farmer’s Market, sophomore Rachel Hardy is in charge of outreach for the SNAP (EBT) grant program, which allows for shoppers to earn extra money by shopping at the market. She is also excited for the location change and the new opportunities that will accompany the new facility.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to get even more of the Northside involved and excited about fresh produce,” says Hardy. “The Mobile Market is across the street from Wofford every first and middle Friday of every month, and we are currently working on the possibility of being able to use Terrier Bucks at the market as well. Regardless, it’s a great Saturday morning outing.”

The market season will run through Dec. 20. Hardy encourages all Wofford students to give the market a try, even if you don’t carry cash. “We can run your credit and debit cards and get you tokens, similar to the SNAP program,” she says.

Buttimer has a message for Wofford students as well: “We’re close to [you], we care about [you], we want [you] to participate, and we need [you]! If you come to the market, you’ll be hooked on the sense of community, fun and great food.”

— Sarah Madden

$0
$500