Student voices: yet another op-ed on the strategic vision

There’s been an awful lot swirling around this whole strategic vision topic. What does it mean? Is it a goal or will it actually happen? What is the timeline? What is the actual plan of execution? How much is it going to cost? And ultimately, after all the time, energy and resources invested, will it really benefit the college?

As another writer so adeptly pointed out, the sky isn’t actually falling due to the strategic vision as many students-turned-Chicken Littles might believe. But while the sky may not be falling, there is definitely an air of change that has the potential to hit Wofford like a hurricane if the important issues surrounding the vision aren’t addressed.

Wofford hasn’t embarked on a plan for change like this in quite some time. And in fact, the Vision isn’t a mandate for change, rather an extensive list of recommendations the college is advised to employ, which will create change. This vision is a mammoth undertaking, one that will require lots of funding and lots of time. And while the 34-page document details a number of pertinent and relevant recommendations for the college, there are some recommendations that indicate a disconnect between the authors and the student body.

For example, in Recommendation Five, which deals with the physical campus, a suggestion is made to replace Marsh Hall (well it’s about time – but I guess asbestos wasn’t a good enough reason; they needed a recommendation from a planning commit- tee to make it a realistic possibility), but there is no mention of improvements or expansion in the dining facilities. Rumors about the food service on Wofford’s campus are always abounding, but it seems that in a real time for change on this campus, food service and dining options, one of the most basic and regular complaints about Wofford, has absolutely no place in the improvement of the college. Same with basic reliable wireless Internet. And laundry services. I’m all for improvements and moving Wofford in a direction that allows it to maintain its competitive edge (while still providing a comprehensive liberal arts education without sacrificing the tradition and integrity of the institution) but not if those improvements fail to address the basic needs of the campus.

In his address to Campus Union, Dr. Samhat insisted the planning process for the strategic vision had been nothing but transparent, but if the process had been as transparent as Dr. Samhat seems to believe, then why has there been such an uproar over the final product? Fact of the matter is, when Dr. Samhat called for student involvement, no one quite knew what strategic vision meant. I’m not even sure I have a firm grasp on what a strategic vision is and I’ve read the whole thing. It also seems funny that no forum or explanation accompanied the publication of the vision.

And even further still, why it is no longer available on MyWofford?

Many are apt to label the outcry against the stra- tegic vision as resistance to change. But the truth is there are fundamental problems and concerns that are inspired by the recommendations included in the vision. In order to create a plausible and beneficial vision for the college, representatives from all aspects of the campus community need to come together with their questions and concerns and work together to find the best solutions to Wofford’s current problems, then turn toward goals for the future. Otherwise, our hopes and dreams for the future will supersede the real life needs of the present and put the college at risk.

— Leah Hunter

Group-with-rendering_382x255(1)

$0
$500