100 memorable moments at Wofford College

he Journal Staff, Wofford’s literary magazine, in 1971. No one knows why they are in the bathroom, but it’s hilarious.

THE FOURTH OF FIVE ARTICLES HIGHLIGHTING THE MOST NOTABLE MOMENTS IN THE COLLEGE’S HISTORY—

This semester-long series has almost reached its end, but not before highlighting some memorable alumni.

1.  Dr. Walter K. Greene is the only alumnus to ever serve as president of Wofford College. He took office after President Snyder retired.

2. In 1889, “the Sweet Sixteen” graduates from Wofford. The distinguished graduates include a United States Senator, the first president of Duke University, the bishop who founded Southern Methodist University and a chemical engineer.

3. Gist Gee, class of 1896, was a missionary and teacher in China for 20 years post-graduation. He also published information about East Asian animal life that remains valuable today.

4. Eugene Pendergrass, class of 1916, is known as the “Father of American Radiology.” He researched the use of radiology for the treatment of cancer at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. He treated Japanese victims of atomic warfare.

5. Jerome J. Richardson Sr., class of 1959, is the founder and owner of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. He also serves on the board of trustees.

6. Col. Jimmy O. Jacobs, class of 1969, was a project officer for the National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C.

7. Daniel H. Hayes, class of 1977, is the Director of Transplantation and Organ Procurement at the Carolina Medical Center in Charlotte.

8. Derek Christopher, class of 1986, is a representative for the Polish-American Enterprise Fund.

9.  Maj. W. Collier Slade, class of 1987, was Wofford’s first Presidential Scholar. He currently works as a military intelligence officer in the US Army.

10. In 1965 Roger Milliken pledges to donate $1,000 dollars for every percentage point about 12 that the college raised its alumni giving. At the end of the campaign, 74 percent of alumni had donated.

11. Dr. C.N. “Gus” Papadopoulos is the first alumnus to surpass $1 million in his lifetime of giving. He came from Greece speaking little English and practiced medicine in Houston, Texas, after graduating from Wofford and medical school. He also served on the board of trustees for 24 years.

12. Wofford receives its largest donation in history in 1993 from Mrs. Homozel Mickel Daniel. The donation reached almost $13 million. After her specific bequests, Wofford, Furman and Erskine split the remainder of her estate. The Daniels had no specific ties to Wofford but were always supporters of higher education in SC.

13. In Dec. 2003, Jimmy and Marsha Gibbs gifted Wofford with $1.4 million to start the Success Initiative Program. They were also the donors of Gibbs Stadium.

14. In Sep. 2004, Trustee Grant Peacock and the Peacock Family Foundation donated funds to begin offering courses in Chinese. This was the first step toward establishing the Chinese major.

15. In Jul. 2005 Wofford becomes one of only 14 campuses to have the Bonner Scholars Program permanently endowed. The school receives a $4.5 million donation from the Corella and Bertram Bonner Foundation of Princeton, N.J.

16. In Sept. 2002 Wofford launches the first Novel Experience as a part freshman orientation with the book “Middle Passage” by Charles Johnson.

17. In Nov. 2001 the Meneely Bell once again rings from Old Main after restoration to commemorate Founder’s Day.

18. In Dec. 1996, a study by the Institute for International Education of Students shows that Wofford led the nation in study abroad programs. In the 1994-95 school year, one in five students studied in another country.

19. In Nov. 1983 “U.S. News & World Report” publishes its first ratings for higher education. It places Wofford among “America’s Best Colleges.”

20. President Ben Dunlap gives a TED talk at the annual TED Conference in Monterey, CA. The talk focuses on Sandor Teszler, who is the inspiration for the name of Wofford’s library, but more importantly a Hungarian Holocaust survivor who inspired Dunlap.

$0
$500