5K for Karl scheduled for Nov. 8

5K for Karl scheduled for Nov. 8

THE KAPPA SIGMA FRATERNITY HOSTS ITS FOURTH ANNUAL 5K FOR KARL SUPPORTING THE KARL E. ALEXANDER SCHOLARSHIP FUND

The Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Wofford College is hosting the fourth annual 5K for Karl race and walk on Saturday, Nov. 8, 2014, on Wofford’s campus.

The race is a fundraising event for the Karl E. Alexander Endowed Scholarship fund. The scholarship is meant to continue Alexander’s legacy at Wofford College and extend a helping hand to incoming students on his behalf. Funding for the scholarship comes directly from different fundraising events of the Karl E. Alexander Foundation. The scholarship is awarded to an incoming Wofford freshman who displays the traits that made Karl an unforgettable and special person. Other fundraising events of the foundation include an annual golf tournament. 100% of Kappa Sigma’s 5k for Karl race proceeds will go toward this scholarship fund.

Alexander attended Wofford and was a member of the Lacrosse club team. During his first year at Wofford in 2010, Karl passed away at age 19 from a heart condition. Years later, Karl’s legacy at Wofford is remembered annually at the 5k for Karl. Senior and Kappa Sigma President Topper Carsten says, “Not only was Karl a Wofford student, but he was also a Kappa Sig, and it’s been great to see how well all the members rally around this cause.”

“This event grows every year, and I know it will continue to grow with the support of his family and the brothers of Kappa Sigma,” says Carsten.

On race day participants can pick up their packets between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. in front of the Old Main Building at Wofford. If people want to participate, but do not want to competitively race, there will be a 5k walk and 1 mile walk/run commencing directly after the competitive runners begin. The competitive race 5K begins at 11:00 a.m. Following the race, awards will be presented for participants running competitively. The top male and female finishers will be presented with an award, and the top male and female finishers in each age group will additionally receive an award.

The event’s starting and finishing lines are on Wofford’s campus drive in front of the Old Main Building. Parking is available behind the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium for students living on campus or members of the Wofford community in attendance.

Registration is currently open online at wofford.edu/ kappaSigma/5KforKarl.aspx, where you can pay with a credit card. Runners and walkers may also register before the race between 9:30 and 10:30 a.m. For questions about the event or for more information, contact [email protected].

$0
$500