Where in the world is the Class of 2014?

Ted+Fort+along+with+the+rest+of+his+racing+team%2C+Idle+Chatter%2C+poses+next+to+the+old+diesel+Mercedes+that+won+within+its+class+in+a+race+in+Sebring+last+July.+
Ted Fort along with the rest of his racing team, Idle Chatter, poses next to the old diesel Mercedes that won within its class in a race in Sebring last July.

RECENT GRADS SHARE THEIR ADVICE AND DISCUSS THEIR POST-WOFFORD EXPERIENCES—

Deciding what to do after graduation can be an arduous task. Students may feel pressure to have a successful post-graduation plan. This stress has even been diagnosed as post-graduate syndrome, where students are overwhelmed with the amount of options they have after graduation. According to recent graduate Jen Harlan of the class of 2014, the amount of stress some students put on themselves to find the perfect job after graduation is unnecessary.

“I think the biggest piece of advice I have is just don’t freak out about what comes next. The job you have after graduation, more likely than not, won’t be your forever job. Even if you start grad school after Wofford, you may find it isn’t for you. That’s okay,” says Harlan. “Just find something you could see yourself doing, and pursue it. Even if you change your mind a little later down the road, you’ll learn exponentially in the process about life and about yourself. And that counts for a lot.”

Harlan, who was an English and Spanish double major, worked at the Institute of Reading Development following the summer of graduation and then was hired by the University of North Georgia to work as the Study Abroad Advisor over their Gainesville, Oconnee, and Cumming campuses. While Harlan enjoyed her time at Wofford, she says she likes having a job and being independent.

“It’s surprisingly an absolutely amazing feeling to be independent and know you are doing things on your own for yourself. I love my job, I love my apartment, I love Atlanta, and it’s really cool to know I made that happen for myself, though I couldn’t have done it without Wofford,” says Harlan.

Carlin Connelly, a French and finance double major, says that post-graduation life has its ups and downs.

“The greatest thing about being a graduate is not having 10 hours of homework to do on any given Saturday. I actually have weekends. And I get to use the phrase, ‘back when I was in college…,’” says Connelly.

For her, however, not everything is perfect after graduation.

“The worst part is not having my family and my friends within arm’s reach at all times. I miss walking over to a friend’s apartment in the Village to study, just hang out or order a pizza. It’s hard to stay connected to all of the people you thought you could never live away from,” says Connelly.

For Connelly, staying connected has become harder after graduation since she obtained a job with the TAPIF program in France. Connelly works 12 hours a week in three elementary schools leading English workshops with students to help them with pronunciation and learning about cultures. Connelly advises current students to do the best they can in college now to help them later on in life.

“Honestly, be kind. Meet people. Get their story. Befriend and be a friend. And I know it sucks sometimes, but study hard. It pays off when you get that diploma at graduation,” says Connelly.

Graduates move at different speeds once they leave college, and Ted Fort is no exception. After spending some time with his racing team Idle Clatter over the summer, Fort, a psychology major, now attends the University of Richmond School of Law. One of the positives Fort has found in graduating is the opportunity to meet more people.

“One of the best parts of being a Wofford grad has just been meeting new people. Wofford is small, so it’s nice to see fresh faces at a new school. I still really miss Wofford though,” says Fort.

Fort advises current students to enjoy their time in college while they can.

“Don’t wish time away. I’m not going to say that college will necessarily be the best time of your life, but it is pretty great, especially at Wofford. Enjoy the present and the future will sort itself out,” he says.

For psychology major Katelyn Browne, life after graduation has turned into a magical experience.

“I went back to Orlando to start working for Walt Disney World again, this time at the Magic Kingdom as a park greeter. So now I get to make some magic for thousands of guests each day in the most popular theme park in the world, which is a pretty sweet gig,” says Browne. “Some highlights of my job include working the Halloween parties and seeing everyone’s amazing costumes, watching kids’ faces light up when I give them Mickey stickers, and meeting people from around the world and sharing information about my favorite theme park with them.”

Browne advises students to expand their horizons and consider traveling while in college.

“Take advantage of all of your resources such as study abroad, The Space, and all of the amazing faculty and staff members on campus. Take that one class that sounds interesting even if it’s completely different from your major. Talk to your professors and get to know them outside of the classroom. Try something new during interim. Study abroad and expand your horizons. Burst out of the ‘Wofford Bubble’ and get involved in the Spartanburg community (trust me, it’s not as scary as it seems and it’s very rewarding). Practice kindness in all of your words and actions. If you need help, ask for it,” says Browne.

Most importantly for Browne, she advises current students to have faith in themselves.

“Most of all, always believe in yourself and what you’re doing, even if you didn’t do as well as you’d hoped on that exam or paper, even if you’re in a fight with your friends, or things just aren’t working out like you wanted,” says Browne. “Just remember that you’re good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like you.”

“The greatest thing about being a graduate is the freedom of being able to start a new adventure somewhere using the wonderful education you received at Wofford,” says Browne.

$0
$500