100 Memorable Moments at Wofford

President+Snyder+poses+with+students+in+the+original+library.+Snyder+is+the+president+who+encouraged+the+changes+in+admission+standards+beginning+in+1908.+
President Snyder poses with students in the original library. Snyder is the president who encouraged the changes in admission standards beginning in 1908.

THE FINAL ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTING THE MOST NOTABLE MOMENTS IN THE COLLEGE’S HISTORY—

This is the last article in this series, and I would like to especially thank Dr. Phillip Stone, our archivist, who has so patiently worked with me all semester to discover these moments in our college’s history. He is passionate about Wofford’s history, and his enthusiasm has rubbed off on me in the hours we have spent working together. Several times I have overheard conversations around campus about these moments, and I feel honored to have shared so many milestones in our college’s past with the Wofford community. Here are the last 20 memorable moments:

1. Wofford finally abolished Saturday class in the fall of 1967.

2. Wofford introduced the degree system in 1942. Before, there was only a general degree with the same requirements for every graduate.

3. In the early 1900s, prestigious schools such as Vanderbilt University, Trinity College and Washington and Lee University, required 14 units (a unit being defined as five hours a week of a course in high school) for acceptance into their schools. Wofford required eight and a half until the fall of 1908 when it likewise raised its standards to 14.

4. In 1914, the college announced that beginning the following year, it would not admit a student who had not completed all four years of high school. Apparently it was difficult amongst high schools in that day to keep students for all four years, because it was common for colleges to admit students who had only completed three years.

5. The first Director of Admissions was C. Joseph Carter. Before 1969, the registrar handled admissions duties as well.

6. The student body rose above 1000 students and stayed in 1964. The year before, Shipp Residence Hall opened, providing more on campus housing for the school.

7. In the early 1900s the wives of professors at Wofford organized a campus club, in which they promoted social interaction and goodwill between students and professors. As the college progressed and women were hired as professors, they were invited to also join. They once published a cookbook.

8. In 1950 Wofford football played Florida State in the Cigar Bowl in Tampa, FL. Wofford was expected to win. Unfortunately, that was the team’s first lost in two years.

9. In May 1994, the Carolina Panthers officially announced their collaboration with Wofford beginning the following fall.

10. In 1997 Wofford officially joined the Southern Conference.

11. The terrier was not always Wofford’s mascot. The legend goes that in 1909, a terrier on the loose ran out in the middle of a baseball game and stopped an opponent runner from scoring. After that, the terrier was always beloved in the Wofford community.

12. Phase 1, the apartment style senior housing, opened in 2006. Senior Vice President David Wood said it was to contribute to the national movement to undo the mess of the urban sprawl.

13. Every Christmas, Dr. CC Norton, a sociology professor and dean of college in the early 50s, would do a staged reading of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. This tradition ended upon his retirement in the 60s.

14. The Bohemian was founded in 1908.

15. The James Fund was started in 2008 by Michael James’s gift of $100,000.

16. In March 1974, a group of 125 Wofford students streaked across Converse’s campus. There was rumored to be a counter attack, although it never happened. Old Gold and Black published an order form for a t-shirt commemorating the event.

17. Wofford has one of the oldest ROTC units, which was chartered in Dec. 1919.

18. In 1971, Spartanburg businessman Andrew Teszler donated funds to name the library in honor of his father, Sandor Teszler.  Mr. Teszler became an honorary grandfather to many students. Some even called him Opi, which is a Hungarian nickname for grandfather.

19. The Sandor Teszler award is given out to honor an individual with moral courage and service to humankind. The first recipient was Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children’s Defense Fund, in 2006. A ceremony was held on Wofford’s campus as she received the award and delivered a speech.

20. The final memorable moment is the announcement of the Rosalind S. Richardson Center for the Arts, only two weeks ago in Oct. 2014.

View Comments (2)
$0
$500